Overtightened limb ?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by trussoni, Apr 14, 2008.

1. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

if a person overcranks a limb and shoots it a lot will the limb crack eventually from it being way too tight? A friend of mine has a PSE cranked as much as the limbs will go and noticed a crack. Just curious if I told him the right thing or not basically.

2. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I'd like to think that they are desigened not to break when buckled down all the way. Now if you tighten it all the way down with a hex wrench pulled by a team of mules...then maybe? :noidea:

3. trussoni

its as tight as it can possibly get tighter than i couldve turned it myself, you can see the crack run right to the bolt though if you look closely enough. im sure he is going to have me looking for limbs for a 70lb FireFlite Express though.

4. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

You should be able to tighten it down with in reason without any problems.

Sounds like he better take it in and have the limb pulled off and checked.

Better safe than a sorry one eyed archer.:tape:

5. J.C.

J.C. New Member

you should just seat the limb bolt with normal pressure and then back it out a 1/4 turn. you don't want to gorilla arm them. I'm sure if the crack runs right up to the limb bolt, that's why it cracked.

6. trussoni

i dont believe its turned back at all i had all i could do to just turn it back a smidgeon. noticed it at a shoot yesterday.

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

do you think he overtightened it, or did it just gall? they'll do that pretty easily running steel bolts into aluminum, especially on an older bow that's spent alot of time out in the weather.

8. trussoni

he cranks 'em down like that on purpose he has the gotta shoot all the draw weight i can pull disease.

9. What PSE bow does he have? There are some bows that the limb pocket is not designed to be tightened all the way down to the riser. The Mojo is considered to be tightened all the way down when there is a 3/16" between the pocket and riser.

If he tightened such a bow down to the point where the pocket came into contact with the riser, then the crack is no doubt a result.

10. trussoni

its a fireflite express game sport

11. trussoni

cant see it well in this but it does go to the bolt, you can feel it with your fingernail anyways. this bow needs strings new cams and limbs personally not sure if its worth it

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

DUDE, if you sent that to PSE, they would update everything and send it back to you.....THEY are second to none in Customer Service.....that being said, ITS TIME for a new bow.....want me to look around??

whats his draw length??

OH and yes, thats cracked:laugh:

13. trussoni

that one is a 29inch and he looks like grape ape (remember him?) when hes shooting. its my old bow my first one i ever bought. it wasnt cracked when he bought it just so ya all know.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

SURE it wasnt, we believe you.....really we do.....:tape: :tape:

15. trussoni

he shoulda bought the one your buddy had for sale, he has shot this one a couple thousand times at least. trying to get ahold of a local pse dealer but they are pretty scarce around here. most of them listed dont actually even have them in stock the two that do are closed for the day due to being open on Sundays. He may be interested in that airbow though.

16. trussoni

Where isthe model number located? I know the type PSE I know it is a Fire Flite Express. Its a Game Sport Series and I can find the serial # tons of patent #s etc just no model #. If anyone knows it would be appreciated.

17. J.C.

J.C. New Member

who's asking for a model number? PSE?.....:noidea:

18. trussoni

gander mountain said its needed before anyone can contact pse and i can not narrow it down on the pse web site without it either i can narrow it down to about six years. not even sure why pse would even have to be contacted its an old bow.

19. J.C.

J.C. New Member

If it's not on the limb sticker and you don't have your owners manual anymore, you'll probably have to call PSE and get it. here's their customer service number.

520-884-9065

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

it doesnt have a Model #......Fire Flite Express is the model.....call PSE yourself, DONT EVER RELY ON GM to do anything right for you.....:censored: