Pa Game Commission Is At It Again!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BOWTECHER, Jun 4, 2007.

1. BOWTECHER

BOWTECHER Member

The Pa Game Commission released the new allocations for the antlerless tags and and the dates for the seasons. It seems they issued more tags were the hunters complained the most, the big woods. On top of that they extended the seasons in the urban area's to the point were the only days you can't hunt is thanksgiving and christmas. I don't mind the season extention, however they need to ease up on the amount of antlerless tags.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup same thing in NY a couple years back......people were complaining about the over abundance of does.....so what does DEC do??? they issue EVERYONE that wants them, 2-3 wmp permits:mad: I said as soon as that happened, just wait next year you wont hardly see a deer....guess what, no one was seeing anything.....I love stupid animal bioligists that dont think before they act.....

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Just come to my house I got 10 doe in the front yard right now...:noidea: :biggrin1:

4. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Down here in the southeast Pa there is no shortage of does, just places to hunt. I hit a big doe a couple weeks ago with my Explorer. It was my fifth roadkill in 10 years, and I am very alert for them. In the northeast I still see plenty of the them in Monroe Co. The point requirements don't bother me. I don't shoot little bucks anyway, and I see quite a few nice bucks. Unfortunately, the last few years the big ones were missing a antler, or had a big piece broken off, so they got a pass.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Did you notice this one?

ANTLERLESS DEER (Statewide): Oct. 18-20. Junior and Senior License Holders, Disabled Person Permit (to use a vehicle) Holders, and Pennsylvania residents serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Services or in the U.S. Coast Guard only, with required antlerless license. Also included are persons who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application for a license and hold a valid adult license, or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

Am I missing something or is that a weekend of rifle season in the middle of archery season?

thats a GENIUS move!

6. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Any opportunity they get to decrease the population of the deer they will take, but instead of looking at reevaluating of the out of proportioned WMU areas and un-proportioned numbers of deer in these units, their solution to everything is to increase the amount of tags hunters can get.

The SE area of PA has ton of deer running around but it also has a number of people in this area that associate Bowhunters with the Army in Orange. If the Game Commission spent as much time and money on having worthless meetings that discourage the future of hunting in this state and focused more on educating land owners near urban areas… the deer population would be more in-line on where it needs to be. Since we have eliminated most (if not all in some areas) of the natural predators of the deer and without proper management of deer we loose the beauty of our forest and natural surroundings. The deer are not letting forest to regenerate as fast as they should, due to over population. The Game Commission needs to change something as the current plan has not been working!

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

JR sounds like we need ta git ya ta head up tha game commission and git this situation straightened up.

8. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I don't know how the Game Commission, or anybody else, will educate the people moving into Mcmansions in the southeast pa. They have no experience with hunting culture in thier backgrounds. Hunters are akin to redneck Psycopaths to them. They are opposed to hunting and guns, but many have a 9mm in the house, "for protection". They complain about the deer eating thier expensive landscaping, but God forbid a hunter of any kind should even hunt in the neighborhood, let alone thier property. They seem to think that state and local government should "take care of the deer problem" somehow, but not involve us cruel bowhunters. You should here them squeal when a coyote eats thier toy poodle in the yard. We can get practically unlimited Antlerless tags here, but access and ignorance is the problem. One landowner gives permission, and somebody else drives by, calls the cops, and screws up the whole trip by having local cops running around looking for us. On one occassion like that I had a local police Sgt. tell a landowner He couldn't give me permission to hunt his land because "it wasn't State Game Land". I got a ticket and had to go before a Judge a few days later. Thank God I got permission in writing prior to hunting there. Peer pressure from neighbors and small lots make it hard to get where the deer are down here. City attitudes. Only the roadkills keep the southeast from being overrun with deer. I make my contributions that way these days, and hunt in Monroe and Pike counties. Less frustration with ******. Last night I saw a Goose with a target arrow through it's chest walking around on cable news. It's tough to fight that kind of reputation.

Edited by Admin - no foul language allowed

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

your feelings are shared by most....

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Ditto........

They're cute til they hit one with their Escalade...:tape:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

people hit them w/there Bear bows????:noidea:

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You know I meant the Cadillac Escalade, right???:doh:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

had NO idea (sarcastically):bored: :bored: :biggrin1:

14. RedFletchings

RedFletchings Member

Yup, PA wants all the doe killed

PA is notorious for trying to kill all the doe.

In Cameron County PA, where our cabin is, we dont hunt deer anymore, none left.

15. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

For several years now you have been able to pretty much take as many doe as you would like in Missouri, and frankly it really doesn't seem to effect the deer population that much at all. Fact is, that as soon as the general rifle season opens, nobody is shooting doe, they are all looking for bucks and with 260,000 deer taken annually during the rifle season you can bet the vast majority are bucks. Now, several counties have gone to the 4 point rule (must be 4 points on one side) and it wouldn't suprize me in the least if in the next 4-5 years you see the whole state of Mo like that. I wouldn't worry to much about loss of doe numbers, there are probably alot more than you think, you first have to convince the hunters that shooting doe is really a good thing.

16. BOWTECHER

BOWTECHER Member

You sure don't know much about pa hunters. 90% of the state are out to fill tags buck or doe. If its brown its down in this state, then everyone stands with there hands in the air asking "where are the deer". I agree with Jay Are, the pa game commission needs to breakdown there wmu's and perhaps distinguish between public and private land. Some units are to big and cover both mountains and farmland, and then go by the # of deer per square mile. Come on, a good hunter know's that the majority of the deer are going to be close to the better food, and then it is the big woods that suffer. I feel that the insurance co. and the rich people who like to look at the wildlife but don't like it eating there landscape, whisper in the game commissions ear a little to much!:mad: