Packaging?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Wheely, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

So, how many of you cut your own meat and how many take it to the butcher and have it done for them? And WHY?

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Process my own here, got real tired of the quality of some of the shops around here, and this way I ensure that I get all of my deer back. Have a grinder, slicer and Vacuum sealer. I make my own jerky and my neighbor makes the sausage. Saves me about $125-145 each time I do it myself. :rockon:

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

do my own also. That way I get my way... And its cheaper plus I know that I'll actually get my deer back..

4. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I do my own less expensive and alot cleaner. I had a place give me a pound of jerky once, they said I should try it. Somebody was missing a bunch of meat. That is what made me decide to do my own deer. And it only gets easier and faster easc time we do it.

5. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I do my own. It's not that hard and gets easier the more you do. The money you save on the first two deer will pay for the equipment and the rest is just money in your pocket

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I do steaks, roasts, and burger myself. The neck, rib meat, etc... I have made into jalapeno and cheese, and regular summer sausage. :hungry: The local shop does nice work, the prices are reasonable and I usually take mine in before the gun seasons. Last year I went in to pick up some finished stuff on the sunday of the first shotgun weekend, one group of hunters had 7 deer on a trailer. I asked when they were shot, "oh, 4 on friday and 3 on saturday"!! Not a bag of ice in sight, anyone remember how warm it was last year during the first gun season?? :puke: I would like to make the sausage myself, I just don't really know how!! Any advice???

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

We do it ourself mostly because: We know we're getting our own meat in the freezer and the cost can be prohibitive.

Also, around here anyway, butchers don't accept anything but clean, boned-out meat anymore. I don't know why that is but since we have to bone the stuff out anyway why not take it a step further and grind it with 20% pork butt roast for ground meat for burgers, chili, tacos, pasta sauce, etc...

We do take some of the boned out meat and bring it in for deer saesage, but it's not cheap. One of these years we'll try to make some ourselves. We collectively have all of the equipment, it's just getting the spices and casing and making the time to do it.

Ron

8. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

Start to fininsh, I do my own, I get the cuts I want and I know it is the deer I started with. I do it all, sausage, kilbasa, jerkey, we even smoked it a few times. Get a food saver for about a hundred bucks and a roll of bags, your done. it only takes about a six pack to do a deer start to finish.:D

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Hi Mountain Seasonings sells kits for a very reasonable price with spices, cure, casings, hog rings/pliers and instructions. They sell different flavors and styles so you can make what you like the most.

Their WEB site is called www.himtnjerky.com. Check it out they have a lot of cool kits and processing stuff.

Ron

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

What kind of price do you pay to have sausage made at your local shop?? The place I use is like $2.25 lb. for regular summer sausage and $2.75 lb. for jalapeno and cheese. Price is determined on finished weight, I think its mixed like 60:40(deer/pork). Is that reasonable??

11. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Try these people also: www.eldonsausage.com

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Good thread W
    i take mine to tha meat man.
    He is honest and vacunm seals it
    For convience and because tha Bee don't want tha mess fer I really delighted in doin
    it myself fer years.
    It cost me $55 and this includes gittin' breakfeat sauage made.
    CHOMP

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

For a 3 pound finished roll were about $8.00 for regular summer sausage and $9 for jalapeno cheese so we're about the same...
    For sausage I believe our local meat locker uses 70% deer/30% pork and I think you can sub beef suet for the pork for a lesser charge. I've never had it that way though and probably would not go that route.

Ron

14. jt13077

jt13077 Senior Member

I take mine to a reliable cutter, it's only $60 which includes sausage. I would love to do it myself but I have never done it, and my wife doesn't really like to see it. Shes love to eat it but can do without knowing about what happened to it. :laugh:

15. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Process our own. We built a cooler a couple of years ago. We save a lot of money. We make burger, steaks, jerky, summer sausage, brats, and deer sticks. It took us a year or two to get the recipes and down and find the ones we like the best. It is a great feeling to know that you have done everything to the meat you're eating from harvesting to processing it.

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's awsome.

One of my buddies who lives in Dubuque, IA has an attached 4 car garage with a separate door for each 'car'. Several years ago he walled the last 1 car portion off, insulated it and installed a colling system built for walk-in coolers. He and his buds only firearm hunt so their season is short, but they have like 15 guys that go out every season. They use that 1 car garage to hang their meat and do the butchering/processing. In the off-season it has a pool and card table with satellite TV, refridgerator, A/C and gas heater for a 'party/smoking/poker' room...

It's pretty slick...

Ron

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Process!

Most of the guys in my huntclub take there's down the road to a shop that skins and process the whole deer, ya get it back in a couple of days in trays like in a grocery store meat dept. sausage and all,any way ya want it.
    And sausage: 1 pound sausage to 2 pounds deer.
    Cost: $85

To much for me,I have allways processed myself,Make sausage,Jerky,what ever way i want it.
    I might some day try this butcher they use, but i dont trust ill get the same deer back!:noidea:

18. hitman846

hitman846 Non Camper

I cut up my own deer with one exception, if it is too warm out for the deer to "keep" until I can get to it!

19. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Hi folks this is my first post here. I also have done my own deer for years. Last year we made a deer skinner out of a 3' solid door, a piece of angle iron and an electric wench. We could skin a deer in 15 minutes from start to finish with hardly any hair at all on the meat. I saw a contraption like this at a processing place and I knew I had to have one. Me and a buddy put this one together in a couple hours. It works great.......

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Depends... if the deer is over 75 pounds I'll get it done for a few reasons...

1. I don't have anywhere around my house to do it without the dogs thinking blood is good

2. its a PITA to do it manually and time consuming. A very large PITA 1 man job.

I think it runs like 80 bucks for the local place to skin, clean, mix, grind, vac seal, label, and call me when its done. Well worth the price to me.

If the deer is getting roasted on the fire we do it our selves :)