paper tuning problem?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by blw_alpine, Jan 2, 2006.

1. blw_alpine

blw_alpine Junior Member

i shoot a alpine archery yukon bow at 66# 30 in. draw and 31 in. pse extreme arrows with 4" duravanes and a 100gr. point. my problem is paper tuning at around 4ft the tear is high about 2 in. my rest is a drop away by nap the 2000 model ive tryed everything to get the vanes to clear but they wont. i had this rest on my last bow and did not have this problem and i shot a bare shaft throu the paper and it made a near perfict hole. my speed is around 270 fps. i was planing on trying the 2.3 quick spins im thinking i wont have a problem with them. thanks for any ideas

2. DTP_HoytTec

DTP_HoytTec Member

If you carry the NAP 2000 RG you shouldn't be having any problems with clearance.. if so turn the cock-feather down or out and try your luck. Also don't paper tune from so close, I've found out that my bow shoot's bullet holes from 15-35 yards and from 5-10 yards it tears slightly low to the right.

If you can tune your bow so that it goes where you shoot, and paper tuned so that it's not to an extreme, the best thing to do is just leave it be.

I've seen guys come to our shop and try to paper tune for 4+ hours, and they left with their bows set back to where they were when they first stepped in the door. Don't waste all your time paper tuning... it's not the world.

shoot straight
    DTP_HoytTec

3. blw_alpine

blw_alpine Junior Member

thanks thats good to hear.. i spent a long time trying to fix this. i used the directions fom the nap web site on tips for the distance witch was 4 ft. and my cock feather is down. it makes me think im doing something wrong like the nock point is wrong but ive tryed everything even extream settings. ive been doing this paper tuning in my house ill go to the range this week and try it at a distance this week. thanks again

4. DTP_HoytTec

DTP_HoytTec Member

Hey no problem.. Glad I could be of help for you.

I know for my bow I tried everything there is in the book to get it paper tuned and it seems like I can never get it quite perfect. The smalles things could effect it.. even if a fletching was off-center. You just never know.

Let me know how it goes at the range.

Shoot Straight
    DTP_HoytTec

5. kingfisharchery

kingfisharchery Junior Member

just a suggestion

Not being there with you its kinda hard to see whats happening but I will make some suggestion One use more down pressure on the rest.Two move your nock point down alittle at a time.Three make you sure your arrow rest is close to your riser as you can get it I have move them in a 1/2 in fix alot of bows that the rest was to for back.as for no#1 the arrow holder when fired it will come back up and hit the arrow again just add more down pressure to spring.you just have to stay with it I paper tune at 4ft to start only to see what is happening.then tune all the way back to 21 ft. after that grp test at 20 yds and back.If I can be of any help please pm me.By the way I am new on here.but I have been in archery for 55 yrs.and I make a fallway arrow rest but wont be on the market till mar.I hope.Just my suggestion////kingfisharchery:amen:

6. blw_alpine

blw_alpine Junior Member

Hey Thanks For The Tips, Found Out That I Had The Rest Coming Up To Soon In The Draw. Im Going To Tune At Longer Distances Tonight.

7. kingfisharchery

kingfisharchery Junior Member

Set it to the last 2.5 to 3in of your arrow.suggestion mark your arrow where it is on the tip of your arrow holder and keep it where you can tell if some thing has charged dont shoot it.also you can see when the rest is coming up,get 2.5 or 3 in. 1st then go from there.good luck/////kingfisharchery:amen:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  8. bout

bout New Member

French tune

I will paper tune to make sure I am close .Then I never go back to I just shoot lines going up and down and straight accross (French Tune) than I know with out any worry I am shooting as straight as I can.