Picking A Stabilizer?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Str8 Shooter, May 4, 2007.

1. Str8 Shooter

Str8 Shooter Junior Member

I just picked up a apex 7 and I'm overwelmed by all the stabilizer out there.

How do I begin to narrow down all of them? What length do i need and what about weight?

Will use this bow for mostly 3d and little paper.

Thanks

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Target
    Apex 7 28" 61#
    Sure-Loc Supreme 550
    Shrewd 3x Scope
    Trophy Taker SPring Steel 1 rest

from the looks of this setup you will most likely be shooting in the open or unlimited class.....so your not limited to length....pretty much leaves the door wide open.....and when it comes to stabilizer choice its almost as hard as picking a bow.....see if the shops have any target stabilizers you can shoot and see the balance of.....then when you find one you like....take a look see in the classifieds here and on AT and see if you cant find a used one....:rockon:

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I have heard very good things about the Posten Stabalizers.

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

stab's

I checked out his stab's nice sight!
    If your a new archer on a budget, they can be a little expensive for complete setups $150 with sidebars.
    He may want to shop around.
    I just bought the aluminum to have some built,almost like jim's because i didnt care for 1'' dia. he told me he could only make in 1 inch, i wanted 3/4in.
    Total price after the machine shop: $45.00:biggrin1:

5. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

This is more of a preferance thing. you'll need to play w/ different lengths and weight. 26"-34" are the basic lengths for target stabilizers. The ones I've tried and own are Specialty Archery's Elite stix, Cartel Doosung, Vibracheck, Doinker, Easton... For a good stabilizer that has good balnce and anti-vibration capabilities your going to spend at least $100.00. I would go to a pro-shop and test a few. If you are on a budget and want a good one. Look at Cartel. There carbon fiber w/ doinker weights that you can change weight on. Good luck!!! and under $100.00

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I shoot an apex so lets see if I can help. Assuming you are shooting open class 3D or Indoor 300/vegas...Get one that allows you to rest the bow on the stabilizer and takes the weight off your arms. You need to rest your arms between shots. Normally if your 5-10-6' that would require about 30" or so.

Now that said, pick a stabilizer that pulls double duty. It should help with bow accuracy, that's why is it long. It should also reduce vibration. If it has no vibration dampeners in it and it is just a rod, you will get very little help in the department. This is why the vibracheck and doinkers are very good. I like both of these. Since you are shooting a heavy bow, I found the doinkers to be a little heavy for that bow. I shoot vibracheck CFX on mine and am very happy with them. Once you put a long stabilizer on your bow, you might need some back weight via an offset bracket and a small stabilizer or two pointing back toward you.

7. Str8 Shooter

Shot a 30" quadra-flex doinker today felt great but its $200. How does the other doinkers compare?

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I like the doinkers but they are expensive......I like the carbon ones better than the quadra flex....:noidea:

but that me....

9. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Persoanlly I think vibra-checks are the best for carbon fiber ones. Try specialty archery's stix. Very nice stabilizer. and around $90.00. I love them for 3d..

10. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

I have the posten stabilizers and they are really nice. You don't have to get the complete set if you didn't want. I paid $200 for a 24" doinker so a complete set with bags for the stabs for $160 is pretty darn cheap if you ask me and you can get them to match whatever you want. They are also not quite as heavy as the doinkers either.

11. Pat

Pat Junior Member

I have the Apex 7 as well and I am using the Specialty Archery Elite stix and a ten inch on a side bar.The Elite Stix has lots of adjustment and is easy to do with one lock screw.I also added optional weight at the end for a little better balance.Hope this helps .I know the options are endless but I am real pleased with it.

12. 12ring4me

12ring4me Member

I read this once, that a good rule of thumb on stabilizer length is to go with a length that is similar to your inseam.

13. Str8 Shooter

Pick up a used Shrewd carbon air devibe @ 30". Looking at Las the weight of the shrewd is close to that of the doinker quadra flex plus it was alot cheaper with a quick disconnect should end up arround 31" or 32". Can't wait to receive it in the mail.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you ordered it from LAS??? today???

you might see it tommarow......:noidea:

they are really fast shippers.....

15. Smooch

Smooch Junior Member

I will second the Specialty Archery's Elite Stix, I have a 24" with the adj. tuning rod which gives you another 10" so you can adj. your stabilizer from anywhere from 24" to 34" for really fine tuning to your personal liking. I have mine set at aprox. 30" and it works great! It's not real front heavy like most stabilizers out there, which is what I really like, but you can buy extra weights to put on if that's what you prefer. I have tried other stabilizers but I keep going back to my Elite Stix. You can buy nicer looking stabilizer's, that's for sure, but if you want function and versatility the Elite Stix cannot be beat!