Pop Up Shoot...anyone?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by pink camo, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

My rats in front of the moving gator...I hated that stinkin gator!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Hook Em

Youngest riding the lion

3. Hook Em

And the goat...

4. Hook Em

We got no pics of KC and I shooting though...it is hard to do when one of us must chase the toddler around! Hopefully my score will be good enough to make the shoot-off tomorrow and we will get some pictures then. Pink is also going to shoot another qualifier round as well....

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I was waiting for a "Pink after the shoot", with bloodshot eyes and a noticeable bad attitude...:laugh:

Nice kids you have. It's great that you have them in the sport. They look like they are taking it all in. Awsome.

Ron

6. Hook Em

Pink shot ok, but she will shoot much better tomorrow...just nervous since we hadn't done that before. My hands were shaking pretty bad during my practice round too!

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

How does that pop-up thing work ?
    It sounds great but I've never seen it myself.
    I love that Goat pic too. Very nice, and very dead if it was real.

Ron

8. Hook Em

2 shooters at a time and then when you are ready they start the cycle. There is about 8 targets (one doe which you don't shoot) and it pops up for about 15 seconds, you shoot and get ready for the next target. You shoot 5 targets per round (2 rounds for qualifying)...scoring is the same as regular 3D with 12,10,8,5,0. The 5 that pop up are random so you always have to be ready for the moving target to come out!

9. Hook Em

I shot an 8 on that stupid goat twice...I was left both times. I will 12 it tomorrow.

10. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

So they have lever arms and electric motors that pop them up ?
    How do the mechanics actually work ?
    Foam targets are not light. It seems that there is a lot behind that to make those thing 'pop up'.
    It seems cool as heck though and I would love to try that some time.

Ron

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Great pics Hook, your kids are so adorable. Good luck to you and Pink tomorrow.:peace:

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

looks like one kid is shooting from the correct side of the bow... the other you need to work on the oldest is holding the bow with the wrong hand!!! What do you teach you're kids down there!)

and put some bend in that elbow boy! He calls that a bend? HA!

13. pink camo

pink camo Guest

I had an absolute blast!! I am looking forward to tomorrow though...hopefully the nerves won't take over like they did today during the practice round! :doh: More pics tomorrow too! zwbonner on AT took some pics that he said he was going to post on AT. :biggrin1:

14. Hook Em

weather schmeather.......there are tents to shoot under

15. Witchy1

Witchy1 Member

You go girls!!! Four of us girls at Carrollton, MO shot it last weekend. It was a blast!! I recognize Paul in one of your pics. He's the guy who travels around for the pop-up 3D. Keep having fun with it. By the way, CUTE kids!

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Post how you guys did today...

Ron

17. ByteMe

ByteMe Guest

How it works...

Ron et. all,

When I designed the pop-up range for a large chain while in Florida years ago we used a pressurized air system that uses acutators to raise and lower the targets. Pressurized air is sent through the system to "pop" the target up. Not sure if they have advanced beyond that but it worked really well coz we could adjust not only the time they stayed up but also the entire speed of the whole cycle.

~Byte~

18. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Hey, good idea, that makes sense.
    I'd love to shoot one of those. It sounds like a ton of fun.

Ron

19. J.C.

J.C. Active Member

What was the average distance of the shots?

20. ByteMe

ByteMe Guest

RE: Shot Distance

Closest was 10yds farthest was 25 yds.

It was an indoor range so we had limited space to work with. Hardest thing was concealing air lines from rogue arrows so we layed down a thick layer of cedar on top of the lines.

~Byte~