poundage

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by cowboy50, Jul 8, 2008.

1. cowboy50

cowboy50 New Member

hey what poundage do yall think i should have if im hunting axis deer

2. Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet New Member

The poundage that you can shoot without struggling.....

There is no magic number.....if you can shoot 50lbs well then shoot it....an arrow from that weight will still blow through a deer....

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

yep...what hornet said. They are no tougher than a whitetail! All about shot placement :biggrin1:

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

what is an axis deer? :noidea:

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yep, what feels comfortable....

Ron

6. J.C.

J.C. New Member

a deer imported from India and stocked on game ranches for your shooting pleasure......:biggrin1:

here's one:

7. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Sure are pretty critters ain't they.

I would shoot what ever bow weight I had (unless it's less than 40 lbs).:cool:

8. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

As I have stated numerous times. Shoot the weight that is comfortable to you. The upside of more DW is increased speed. The downside is over time it will eventually tear up your shoulder. Don't get caught up in the "I shoot more weight than you" syndrome. If you shoot more weight than you can comfortably handle it will affect your accuracy. IMOP I would never shoot more than a 60# bow anymore. But that is my own opinion. If you're going to shoot around 60#'s go with the 50/60 lbs limbs which usually maxes out around 62#'s. You're better off shooting a bow maxed out than a 60/70 lbs. bow minimised.

If you read some of the older posts on here you'll notice mostof the guys that have shot alot have reduced their poundage over the years. You'll also hear that more poundage lets you shoot a heavier arrow and lets you get more KE (kinetic energy) at point of impact. But with todays bows, most of that KE is wasted into the ground after the arrows passes thru the deer.

But again.....This is only my opinion.

9. sweet old bill

sweet old bill Member

I had roto - cuff repair done at 60, now 66 years young I shoot the compound at 56 lbs and the recurve at 50 lbs weight... I do think the days of needing a bow to be max out at 70 lbs to shoot 3D, NFAA, or hunting is over.

The products for archery have gone to the carbon arrows and the new designs sof bows make the bow in a 50 lb range as fast as in the past when you had to have a bow in the 70 lb range..

Bill

10. Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet New Member

Youv'e got that right....there is no need for anything over 60-65 lbs for anything involving a bow in this country. I have been reaching over 300fps at under 60lbs for many years and I have a short draw. If you shoot ASA I can shoot bows in the low 50s and still get the magical #....and with NFAA shoots it's just plan silly to shoot over 60lbs for 99% of the archery community.

Like Jeff Hopkins told me last year...."if I would stop being stubborn and set a bow up for target instead of shooting 70+lbs for everything I might actually be great at indoors":peace:

11. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

The only reason I keep mine at 60#'s is I like the trajectory of a little faster arrow but I'm considering dropping it down to around 55 or 56 the next time I need arrows. The arrows I have now are toward the upper end in weight for my setup.
    I'm comfortable with the weight but still want to go down a little for my shoulders sake. The weight is more than enough in the 55# range for any deer we have around here in Mo. and would be more than enough for the Axis deer that was mentioed in the opening of this thread.

Plus I don't know about you people, but I still get the feeling that there is a "critter" called the "wood's gremlin" that sneaks up and adds about 20#'s of imaginary feel to my bow draw weight when I'm trying to draw back without getting busted by the deer. The weight he ads is directly in ratio to the size and antlers of the deer.

12. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

No doubt about it; that's why I'm shooting 59#