Pro Shops: What is fair pricing for setup?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I have been reading the pro shop threads and found them interesting. I figured I would create a new thread instead of hijacking someone elses.

I noticed the post about the guy charging double for setting up online purchased bows.
    On the topic of setup of a bow not bought at the shop. This could include set draw length, install loop, sync/time cams, tie peep, install kisser, install leeches, etc.

1) what is a fair price for the setup of the bow (assume you bought none of the accessories at the shop)

2) what is a fair price for the setup of the bow (assume you bought a sight and a rest at the shop)

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I think if the accessory was bought in your shop set-up should be free. To calculate labor for installation and set-up of items not bought from you, you should decide what your time is worth per hour, and how much time it usually takes to perform the service. for instance, if you can install accessories and tune a bow in an hour, and you think you should make $40/hr, then the charge should be $40. you should also have a price list for services posted prominently in your shop so there will be no questions or misunderstanding.

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I agree if you don't buy the bow or acc. at my shop then I am gonna charge ya to put them on. $40/hr shounds fair to me.:peace:

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

If I charged $40 per hour around here, I'd have 0 customers. That is just how it is. 90% of the shooters around here are hunters and don't know what center shot, cam lean or anything else of that nature are. They are happy to hit a plate at 20 yards and and think the rest of us are silly.

I can't survive off the other 10%.

If I sell you a bow or an accessory, I don't charge to install it. If you bring it from somewhere else, I may charge you a nominal fee. This is what I have struggle the most with and I still don't know the answer.

5. BowhuntnHoosier

How about if I buy a string from you?? Is installation and tuning free???:wave:

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Yes.... :thumb:

I don't deliver though.... :wave:

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

well, $40 was just an example. if you can install a rest or sight in 15 minutes you could charge $10 and still make $40/hr.....:biggrin1:

8. BowhuntnHoosier

Dang it................that was my next question.:Cry:

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Might be ablet to get by with that....most folks around here can't add too well no how.....

I however definitely couldn't put up a sign readin' $40 per hour....:biggrin1:

10. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I still have your cables hangin on the wall.....:doh:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you should here people CRY, when we tell them we $60 an hour plus parts to work on the $129 lawn mower:noidea:

or $79 sears chainsaw......:doh:

12. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I do hear something in the distance occasionally, I thought it was coyotes, but maybe it's your customers??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

My shop charges nothing if you buy the bow OR accessries from them for your existing bow.

If you buy a bow all of your 'old' accessories are mounted for free and the bow is setup for you and paper tuned for free. You also get free range time to make any adjustments to the peep height, sighting-in, center shot, etc...

If a shop did not offer that service they would lose my bow purchase business.

Ron

14. When I use to sell alot of birds, I would have people call me to see how much I would charge to clip the flight feathers on thier bird(s), I would give them a set price. The bird owners that came to me with the bird in hand and asked me if I did that and how much I would charge if I did, I would do it for free and 80% of the time I would have a future buying customer and would also refer others to me.

If they bought the bird from me then I would do it free.

I think in your line of work, if they called they are just fishing for the lowest price and expect a price to be charged. Those that walk in then they are pretty much new to the sport and if treated good could end up being a future repeat paying customer. I am not saying you have to do all the work for free but I would do my best to make them feel like they were special even if they didn't buy thier equipment there.

I guess what I am saying is that you would need 3 set of prices, one for customers that buy their stuff from you(which is usually free), another for those that call on the phone and ask how much to do the work and another for the lost soul(s) that walks in looking like this could be his/her last day on earth and he needs your help or its over for him.

15. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I don't think I have ever been charged for a 'service' fee. I get a lot free :noidea:

But....I would do what JC said, figure what your time is worth and how much time it takes you to do a job and go from there.

My husband is always mad at me cuz the time I put into a quiver and the prices I charge are not high enough for him. :doh:

16. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

Few things are free. Sorry. If you sell a bow, then your labor is factored into the price of the bow. If you charge more to put on pre-owned accessories, then hopefully it is balanced against the price of the bow itself.

If you are the only shop in the area, you may SAY you are putting on all the accessories for free, but I bet the price on the bow will almost MSRP. If you have several shops near you, I bet the there is a better price break.

As a consumer I have no issue with a shop wanting to charge labor to install stuff on a bow bought somewhere else. Hopefully as I bring in more business I get an occasional break on labor if their bored or no one else is in the shop. But, I don't expect it. Even 'free' service, as mentioned above, is used to generate good will and the hope for future sales. Good for the business and good for the customer.

What I do get tired of is whiner shop owners that enter every conversation as if you are trying to rip them off. When I was shopping for my shotgun, I basically walked in and said, I'm interested in a Remington 870SPS in 26", what kind of price can you give me." The shop owner tells me I would have to put down $100 and he could not tell me the price of the shotgun until he ordered it. When I looked at him dead serious and asked, "you want me to put money down on a gun that I don't know the final price of?".. he launched into a tirade about me, the internet, people like me, and how it was hard to stay in business anymore. Point of note, I never mentioned the internet.

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I didn't think it was legal in the US to buy and sell firearms of any type over the Internet... That and a lack of customer service like his is more likely than not hurting his business, which is making it hard to stay in business. If somebody treated me like that when I was buying anything I would easily walk out and execute plan B, or plan C, or plan D.... Or just not spend the money at all.

Ron

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  18. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Unless he meant that he had to look up the price and that you had to put the $100 down when he ordered it, I don't believe he'd see me in his store again. Most of the shops around here set up what they sell free. If I bring in my bow and buy a sight from them then they will setup the sight. They also have a nominal charge for setting up a bow bought elsewhere. The set up price is usually factored in the selling price. Same goes for the gunshops here.

19. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

With you betting record, I hope you don't gamble much.:laugh:

I don't sell my bows for anything close to MSRP, normally below MAP. I charge enough to make a comfortable profit. I don't live off my bow shop. I spend a lot of time setting up the bows I sell because that is what I would consider good customer service. My labor isn't figured into the price of the bow. All bow shop owners aren't created equal.

20. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

If he was really meaning that a $100 deposit had to be put down to order a bow, that is not an unreasonable request as long as the full purchase price of the bow with tax and any shipping costs were clearly communicated up front. I just did not understand why the owner or an employee would rant over the issue as described with the Internet and such. It sounds to me like the owner/seller is WAY out of touch with the reality of retail sales and customer service.

Hey, it's our right to negotiate as buyers. It's also the seller's right to negotiate. At the end of the transaction though the FACT of the matter is that if the buyer had a good experience with the seller that buyer would likely buy from that seller again, assuming that the seller continued to sell products that buyer would wish to purchase. This is really based on fact and not emotion. A lot of buyers and seller develop opinions on emotion rather than fact. That's a shame because business go down the drain all the time because of the emotion part of it 'taking control'.

That's a proven, documented, fact. It's just too bad that some people who sell to the public do not understand that.

And wheels, your prices are right and your customer service is excellent. References to your work has been spread around as a result. I get quite a few compliments on the quiver I purchased from you.

Customer service in the past several years has gone into the toilet, in all parts of working with the public.

OK, off the milk crate now...

Ron