Proper Shooting Technique

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by mnhunter50, Jan 29, 2006.

1. mnhunter50

mnhunter50 Junior Member

What is the proper shooting technique when shooting a bow. How should you relese and how should your stance be. I would like a couple of pointers

2. Pinky

Pinky Senior Member

The first step is this.......Make sure that your bow's draw length is adjusted for you. It is BAD if it's long. It's OK if it's a little short.

Your release needs to be a smooth thing. Most people "punch" or "snap" the release as soon as they see the target in the sights. This is called target panic. And, it kills your true potential for consistent accuracy. And, it can be hard to overcome. But.....it is curable.

Your stance is easy enough. Feet should be spread to about shoulder width. And inline with the target. Your upper body should be in a "t" form. Of course, hunting situations may require that you not be in perfect form. There are ways for you to check your stance to make sure that you are stable.

Trust me, this is the tip, of the tip, of the iceberg when it comes to proper shooting form.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions, post away.

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Listen to Pinky, his advice is good.

One way to tell if your draw length is correct is to get a helper and a digital camera. Take pictures from the side and back and full draw and post them on the forum. We will then evaluate them.

4. mnhunter50

mnhunter50 Junior Member

yeah i will try to get some pictures up soon. Thanks for all the help