Proper Technique Question...

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by swintj1, Oct 2, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hey all,

Here is my understanding of how to shoot the bow, but I just want to double check with you all before I go getting all frusterated by missing my mark all the time.

1: Pull bow to full draw length
    2: Place hand under right cheak bone
    3: Have bow arm slightly bent, NOT LOCKED
    4. When releasing, try not to move bow arm or release arm...simple lift fingers off line...

Step 4 is where I have problems. I have read articles saying that this technique is correct, and then I have seen others where the instructor says to gradually pull right hand back until you release. Which is correct? Do I just take fingers off line by lifting the fingers, or do I SLIDE my fingers off by pulling my right ARM BACKWARDS further than the draw length? Any help would be great.

-Joe

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Just buy a release, and gently squeeze the trigger, don't PUNCH it!:doh:

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

What kind of equipment are you shooting ?

Ron

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I use the second method...I pull straight back

5. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

thats still punching!!:biggrin1: you dont pull the hand back. technically you pull with your elbow or squeeze your back muscles. He is talking about using back tension. You also want to push with your bow arm at the same time your pulling with your release hand. you want your bow to launch towards the target after the shot!!! but most hunters just practice slowy squeezing the trigger.