question about hunters friend

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by revo, Oct 3, 2007.

1. revo

revo Junior Member

Hey guys I'm new here as you can see but have spent alot of time reading through these forums in the last couple weeks. My question is about hunters friend bow packages. Has anyone used this site before? Also the package deals seem pretty good if you are new to this sport like me and will probably end up buying most of the accessories anyways.

I could buy a new Bowtech Guardian for $625 bare boned and add everything myself or buy a package that is absolutely loaded and already tuned for a little under $1100. I know these accessories add up quickly so I'm kind of on the fence of what to do here.

All comments welcome.

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Just find a local shop, thats what I do.

3. revo

revo Junior Member

The closest dealer is an hour drive one way. That's why I was thinking about purchasing online. Plus when I called last week they didn't even have any Guardians in stock, that seemed very wierd to me. The next closest dealer is an hour and a half, maybe I should check them out. Still a long drive without knowing anything about them.

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Yeah, my shop is only about a 20 minute drive. Before you buy any high end bows I recommend shooting them. $625 sounds like a decent price to me, but generally if you buy a bow from a shop the setup is free, if you buy a bow and take it in it will be at least $50 for the setup and tune. If you plan on doing some regular shooting it would be good to know the local proshop guys. The 08's will be coming out next month and the prices of the 07's will drop around feb. Accessories can be picked up pretty cheap on ebay if you shop around, I could deck my bow out for the extra (1100-625) $475!!!! :scared: If you do buy a bow from Huntersfriend get a bare one and buy your own accessories! JMO! Good luck, Welcome to the forum, its helpful 99% of the time and :censored: :frusty: the other 1% of the time!:welcome:

5. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

you can get one cheaper on ebay and A/T!!

6. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I just bought my bow thru Hunters Friend. They will let you customize your bow with whatever sights,rests etc that you want. You don't have to use the ones they have. After going around looking at the differant equipment at a bunch of shops (none of the shops seemed to have everything I wanted) I too went to a shop and they were out of the guardian. After an hour drive also. Do you happen to live in the St. Louis area?). They had the guardian there the 1st time I went and I shot it then, but I also shot the Diamond Black Ice and liked it too. When I went back they were out and told me they probably not re-order until the 08's were out. I then went to Hunters Friend, ordered the bow (a Black Ice) with everything I wanted and wound up saving about $150 over seperate retail prices with their packages. I'll keep everyone posted as time goes on about them further.

7. revo

revo Junior Member

I thought about this also. Are most accessories easy to install or would I still need to find a dealer for the install?

8. revo

revo Junior Member

No, I live in Indiana. Did you purchase less items than the package originally offered? How was your bow out of the box? Did they do a good job tuning and aligning your peep? Thank you!

9. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Haven't got it yet. Thats why I said I 'll keep everyone posted. One of my friends ordered a bow thru them about 8 months ago and when he got it all he had to do was a few minor adjustments on the pins to match him exactly otherwise it grouped great. I kept the whole package item-wise except changed which sights, rests and release I wanted and combined with the odd stuff (case, field tips etc) it saved me about 150 over retail if purchased seperately. But I imagine the market varies in where one is at.

10. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Where are you finding a new Guardian for $625?

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

I Agree!

The same here!:biggrin1:

12. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I think he was mistaken. At Hunter's Friend the Guardian was 749. My Black Ice was 649. I wanted the Guardian but they wouldn't ship it because I was within a 30 mile radious of a Pro shop. (As the crow flies.). So I settled for the Black Ice. Both of the Shops around where I live were out of the Guardian and the shop that still had the Black Ice I won't deal with.

13. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

As I stated above, I went thru Hunters Friend. Whether it turns out good or bad remains to be seen. A friend of mine did it and was very happy with them.
    I'll keep you all posted as it goes on. I'm not going to hunting with it this year (I'm not one of those guys that buys a bow and 2 wks later think I'm Robin Hood). I know I should have waited 'til Feb but right now my money situation is good and I had the "itch". I just came by some unexpected money and figured I'd spend some on a bow. broads and beer and then blow the rest. A person must have priorities. Maybe I did good, maybe not....Time will tell.:amen:

14. revo

revo Junior Member

You can find them that cheap on eBay.

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I'd like to see a link or two for that bow at that price becuase I'd buy one and resell it... You may have seen a 'current bid' but it's not going to be a 'Buy it Now' price.

Also, Bowtech does not promote internet/mailorder sales for the Bowtech line. So, if I were buying a Bowtech bow via Internet/mailorder I would automatically assume the bow is used and would negotiate accordingly.

Best work with a pro shop to get a bow and have it set up correctly for you.
    $1,100 will get you one hell of a hunting setup that will make almost any bowhunter envious, with equipment to spare.

Ron

16. revo

revo Junior Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160162448893&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2007-Bowtec...ryZ20838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2007-BOWTEC...ryZ20838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

17. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I dont know about bowtechs but if you buy a hoyt off the internet like on ebay, it voids the warranty. If I were to buy a bowtech I would definately want a warranty. Bowtechs have always been known to have limb issues, too much preload on the limbs = more speed, but hard on the limbs.:doh:

18. revo

revo Junior Member

Thanks for all the info guys. It's helped some but I still don't know what I'm going to do. Seems like everyone recommends going to a dealer, which would work if they were not an hour away and actually had a descent amount of bows to test. Are the accessories something I could install myself? Or would I just end up pulling my hair out trying?

Once again some good info here, thanks.

19. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Let me tell you a little story about an ebay bow.
    A customer calls me up. Says, I just bought a bow off ebay. I shot the first arrow through it and the arrow blew up and went into my hand.:Cry:

I said, I can't diagnose it over the phone, bring the bow in and let me look at it. I start checking it over looking for some major problem with the bow. Can't find anything big. I said, lets look at the setup, nocking point, etc.

So I put an arrow in it and looked at the center shot.:scared:
    The center shot it so far to the left, the tip of the arrow is 6-8 inches left of center. I said I know why the arrow broke. I reached up and touched the rest and part of it fell off the bow. The left/right adjustment was so loose it just fell off as soon as I touched it.

I went through and setup everything for him. He was still scared to shoot it. I grabbed a couple arrows and said lets go to the range. I fired two arrows through it and handed him the bow.

So what was a cheap bow wasn't so cheap after the medical issues and paying me to setup the bow the right way. I bet he still has carbon splinters in his hand.

20. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I could scrutinze your links but there is no point since Chris put it out for the right discussion...

If you want a Bowtech go to a certified shop and pay the extra coin and walk out a happy person instead of someone who regretted the whole experience. We probably lose more potential archers because of incompetent retail sales than any other factor. It's just a guess but if I'm not right I'll probably be pretty close.

Ron

Ron