Question for all shooters

Discussion in 'Tournament Discussions' started by tburgin, Jun 27, 2016.

1. tburgin

tburgin New Member

Our club has been experiencing a decline in shooters in recent years. This seems to be on par with most local clubs, even though bowhunting is bigger than ever. I was wondering if there was anything that other clubs are doing that seem to be helping them keep numbers? We have two shoots a year. The first is in early June, the second is in mid August. We've been looking at having a shoot in early September? Is this too late for people since the kids are in school, or is it better because more people are getting the itch to shoot since bow season is right around the corner? Any info/suggestions would be great. Thanks

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Same for us as well. We have 7 shoots a year including a early September one, our first one is in Feb weekend after the Super bowl. We have tried adding novelty targets and a few other things but nothing really seems to help. It started for us when the last recession hit and never has come back to where it was. I don't think the economy has either though - at least around here. I think there is a loss of interest in it in general as well. We have seen more than one shoot in central/southern Indiana just fold up and close.

3. Leon Hall

Leon Hall New Member

OK, I'll take a shot on this thread. I've been shooting a grand total of 3 months, never been to your place yet (but I will be tomorrow!) I don't know how many people run it, how many show up etc. But having set people from the club there to give advice on form or technique wouldn't hurt. People are attracted to places they learn and grow as well as a good facility. That's my 2 cents, feel free to spend it or not! LOL

4. Adam Knecht

Adam Knecht New Member

Some of the best 3D shoots I've been to have also been the most challenging. Examples:

1) Put 4 doe targets out among a buck... arrange them in such a way that most of the buck(except the vitals) is obscured by the does. So you have to shoot around the does to hit the buck. If you hit the doe you loose 20 points.

2) Place targets behind obstacles .... a course I shot in California I had to shoot from my knees because there were branches in the way. Another target was in an old rusty car.

3) Novelty shots.... I went to a shoot where they floated an alligator target on the pond.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

5. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Most of the traditional shooters that come to our course seem to like those kind of shots; I am a bit surprised at how many of the compound shooters complain if we do that. The blue and green stake shooters especially but even some of the top scoring yellow stake shooters do as well. It's like they are shooting spots outdoors or something.

6. FalconArchersPA

FalconArchersPA New Member

You need a JOAD Program. We have 30 kids and a waitlist. This not only introduces youth to the sport but also gets some of their parents involved and shooting. We have run this program for over 20 years. It truely helps support the club. We are seeing previous youth shooters coming back as adults and joining.

Eric T. Calinda likes this.
  7. Eric T. Calinda

Eric T. Calinda New Member

I agree 100 percent. I am just a member in our club down here in NJ. Waxobe archers. The JOAD program is amazing and honestly takes up our indoor range from sun up Saturday till sun down. Another thing we just started doing is leaving half of our outdoor range open for an NFAA field round for practice and the other half of the course for 3D so both can be practiced at the same time. This also involved marking stricter walking boundaries and making sure targets that were closed were properly covered so people don’t get any “smart” ideas and shoot the wrong targets. Maybe have leagues if possible. We have leagues Tuesday-Friday 7pm-9pm for indoor and hopefully a 3D league starting this year. Tuesday is a team trophy league, Wednesday is a traditional league, Thursday is the money league, and Friday is the senior league. Hope this gives you guys some ideas. Have a great weekend guys!!!