Question for Experienced Archers.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Werd, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Is a pass through or a just regular shot better? because i always thought that the broadhead if it stayed in the deer whenever it moved the blades would slice everything up inside.?? any comments

2. Werd

Werd Senior Member

ohh btw another thing. ive never had a pass through...but 3 really good shots. when i had these shots it was last year with a 50 lb now im shooting 70 ...will that make a difference or could be why i wasnt getting pass thoughs

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I don't know if one is better than the other...the most important thing is placement...if the shot is good and the BH is sharp that's all you need

4. red44

red44 Senior Member

Shot placement being equal, I would prefer the pass-through just for a better bloodtrail.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

i killed just as many deer w/non pass through(I consider a non pass thru even if the arrow is sticking out both side)as I have w/ complete pass throughs....

so I also dont know if one is better than the other......

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have NO experience here, but I would agree with the shot placement theory :nod:

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Pass-thru!

There about the same!
    out of all the deer ive taken, only about 50% were pass-thru!
    But they were still dead deer.
    Shot placement is the key as mention by every archer out there!:biggrin1:

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I would say 85% of my deeers were pass thrus
    Seems that if I put it in tha right spot they all went down regaurdless
    :peace:

9. Werd

Werd Senior Member

thanks you guys and gals. I thought that would be half the part of it. but i dont see how to get in to pass through...no matter where i put the shot its never goes through..well then again ive only shot 3 deer with a bow. any shots wherse its almost a deff pass through

10. Werd

Werd Senior Member

OHHHHH i got another very good question. grunt calls. ive never had no luck..only bad luck. i had a nice 8 coming to me and i grunted because he started turning and he was about 45-50 yards away and he just stopped and like darted away. i threw the call across the woods i was so mad. anythign i may have done wrong. i did a young buck grunt real lightly and quick not a blatttttttttttttttt just a click blat.

11. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

thats true. Though a pass through will help the deer drain faster. Due to no arrow plugging the hole. But as everyone has mentioned. It wont matter if you dont place the arrow in the correct place.

12. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I like pass thoughs, they dont ruin my arrows then!! ACCs are not cheap, Shot placement is most important i think.

13. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

No what you grunted was run there is a bow hunter up in the tree lol
    Sorry I had to.

14. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Doesn't make a difference, but I gotta say I love those complete pass thrus. :peace:

15. Timmer

Timmer Member

Placement is most important, but a pass through offers a better trail to follow.

16. chainsawlaskowski

chainsawlaskowski Junior Member

If you have never had a pass thru, I would bet it's because you are using a broadhead that isn't sharpened to the tip. I know this debate goes on and on, but to prove it to yourself, shoot the broadheads you are using at a foam broadhead target. Next pick up some NAP RAZOR CAPS - a 3 bladed head available from most catalogs like Cabela's etc. Also shoot a field tip or whatever at the same target. You will see for yourself which head penetrates the most. There are several good cut on contact heads out there but the "RAZOR CAPS" are pre-sharpened and they fly exactly the same as field tips, which to me is VERY important. I've been bowhunting since the early 80's and have tried more different tips than I can remember. These are one of the best tips for a complete pass-thru, (even for low poundage bows) that I've seen and tried. You won't be dissapointed. And as pretty much everyone agrees, SHOT PLACEMENT is the MOST important thing no matter what you shoot! A pass thru is nice on a marginal shot because you have another hole in the animal to leave a better blood trail. On a "good" shot it doesn't matter, as the animal will go down quickly anyway, if not pushed too soon. Good Luck to you, and remember - Practice, Practice, Practice! Jeff

17. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

placement most important

18. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

I agree placement is the most important thing, since i have been bowhunting i have only shot two deer that the arrow did not pass through, let them drain out, it helps with a blood trail, especially in thicker brush.

19. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

If you shoot them with field points and hit the right spot you will kill them.
    I prefer to get complete pass thrus for a better tracking job. If an arrow doesn't pass thru it is usually buried into bone on the opposite side, so the broadhead wont be cutting much more anyways.

20. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Have to agree with every one else...all that really matters is if it was a good hit.Tracking may be a little slower and if you know for sure that it wasn't a pass through,you might want to hold off a little longer before you take up tracking it to give it more time to bleed out.