Question for you turkey hunters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Liv2Bowhunt, May 21, 2008.

1. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

this past weekend i was out hunting spring gobbler in PA. Set up on two int he roost and called them down. I had the dec's set up in a clearing. the first bird glided over my head, the second made a U turn in mid flight and landed in the trees above the dec's. He stayed in the tree for about 5 minutes, felt like 5 hours, and all of a sudden he flew the other way, i know he didn't see me and no one else was around. the first bird hung up about 50 yards behind me, we struck out for the morning. the only thing i can think of is they were subordinate birds and have been gettin their :censored: 's thumped all season by the boss tom. any thoughts?

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

What was it you were useing for decoys? Just hens or mix it up with a Jake in there?

3. Liv2Bowhunt

2 hens, i left the jake and the strutter in the truck. i'm really leaning toward them being subordinate birds.

4. SinGin

SinGin Banned

They probable didn't like the decoys or you might have put them in a place where they usually don't see hens. I know where I hunt the turkeys hate decoys.

5. Liv2Bowhunt

it's a lose, lose situation. i have been in situations where i think i could have had a shot if i had the decoy out, and in situations like this where i would have had a shot if i didn't have the decoy out. i put them out because this was one of the rare places i get to hunt where there is no presure. oh well, maybe he will get struck by lightning.:mad2: