rage vs. swacker

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by jojobama12, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jojobama12

jojobama12 New Member

if been hearin alot about these swacker broadheads and was wandering if they were any good and if so are they better than the rage broadhead????

2. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

Rage heads have problems-Period. I doubt anything could be worse. I want to try the swhacker, but I am going with tried true and unfailing Magnus 2-blade. The swhacker is the same as the old sonoran blades-so see how you like their reviews. Swhacker brand is too new to have many good reviews on the net, yet.

3. Werd

Werd Senior Member

My orings on the rages kept rottin out. Horrible to me. Then they wouldnt stay shut in my quiver. Most wouldn't open when the enter the deer.

4. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

the o rings arent used to keep them shut.:doh:

5. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Yes they are? They are used as a shock adsorber, and the blade " slips " under it to keep it locked.

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

The customers at our shop absolutely love the rage heads, period.
    The holes we've seen are incredible. The only bad report we have had was an elk hunt. When I grilled him on it, he said it was shot in the neck. Yep, that's a broadhead problem for sure.:doh:

7. Werd

Werd Senior Member

dont get me wrong chris, i love them too, but i may have had a bad batch, i think they did have a couple bad runs with the blades not opening. How about them crimson talons?

8. I missed

I missed Senior Member

what are you talking about!!!
    it is used as a shock absorber the blades lock into place:doh:

9. I missed

I missed Senior Member

and the blade " slips " under it to keep it locked.

well theres your problem!!

10. Werd

Werd Senior Member

the sharp part that cuts the animal doesnt go under it, the back part of the blade, under the sharp part.

11. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

the way u said it made it sound like u put the o rings over the blades.

12. Werd

Werd Senior Member

LoL! :doh: :doh: let me clear that up. The bottom of the blade has a little" lip " thing that hides under the oring to keep it shut. then you know the rest. lol

13. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha there

Must be a north-south thing i guess
    My nephew switched to the rage last year
    and he switched back to his rockets..lol
    they aint sellin down here like they were last year when ya couldnt keep them on tha shelf.:noidea:

14. Rino

Rino New Member

Hey, Maybe I should have you pick me up a couple packs if they go on sale since nobody is buying them. Here in MN they go for as much as a tank of gas.:frusty:
    But they definitely put a hole in a deer big enough for my 4-year-old to crawl through!

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha there

O i know the damage they can do ive see it.
    But rockets do the same.and have been alot longer than rage has
    thats why ppl dont change when something works
    when it stops then they change.or atleast i do..lol
    my nephew just got out of collage 2 tears ago
    i got him into bowhuntin when he was 16
    and he's an engeneer so he buys all top quality stuff.
    he went on tha bandwagon with rage and his 4 buddys that he bowhunts with
    they even went out and leased 400acres of farm land at the base of a mountain to bowhunt only on..
    there what i call high class red-necks with there big 4-wheelers and all
    anyway .
    He and one of his buddys switched to rage.
    he was shooting rockets before and switched becausethey say rage makes a bigger whole.in a deer ..lmao
    and his buddy was useing muzzys and was trying his first mechinicals.
    they both in 2 days had a problem on the shot with the rage.
    my nephew shot a 10pt in the 145class the first day of hunting season.
    ive allready told everyone this last year..but ill do it 1 more time lol
    he shot the deer at 28yds.quatering away..the arrow passed thru the deer and stuck in the ground on the other side.
    he called me to drive 55miles and ask me to track for him.
    he was very nervious and told me he made a great hit.i believed him.
    he said at the shot the deer bolted off down a powerline and never stopped.
    when i got there wasnt much blood and the broadhead looked like it didnt open.
    we found the deer about 150yds up the powerline the hit was high at the top of both lungs..the deer just exploded and ran till he was dead on his feet.
    the whole in the deer on both sides was around the size of a nickle or a little bigger..the rage did its job by killing the deer but my nephew..( john )
    Well he is now an anti-rage kinda guy.
    I havent tryed them so i dont care what ppl shoot..i know what i shoot allways works..so far..( Knock on wood )
    This broadhead he shot the deer with came stright out of the package
    he checked to see if it worked fine and it did..it just didnt open on this deer.
    His buddy ( ray ) shot a doe with a new one out of the package..a couple days later checked the same broadhead thought it was fine..tryed to shoot another deer with the same one..this time it was a small 8pt ..it didnt open this time..they didnt find the deer.
    he now shoots muzzys and wont even touch a mechinical..i told him try rockets or anything and he wont.
    so rage is giveing ppl a bad taste in there mouth..in some places as you can see.
    I think its a pretty good broadhead myself..but like anything i want consistancy.when it comes to killing an animal..i aint got time to blame a broadhead my time in the woods is to important to me..
    Anytime ya need some shoot me a pm i think there like 26.99 for 3 around here.
    have a great bowseason
    kenny:wave:

16. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

What possible advantage does a mechanical have over a fixed blade anyway? I see them as one more possible thing to go wrong. I've never shot one, so can you shoot the same weight field tip and not have to tune them? Is that the attraction to them? Until I figure out a good reason to switch, I'll stick with my fixed blades.:D

17. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I'm the same way. I think there are a lot of good Mech. Broadheads out there but I have heard too many horror stories and when I pull back on a deer I don't want to have to second guess anything. I'm not knocking mechs. Im just an old dog and will stay with the fixed. My buddy hunts with the rage and loves them.

18. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

hi paul

There are several advantages to a mechinical
    the main one is if you make a bad hit because the animal was walking or it trys to jump the string..its still gonna die..if the mechinical opens like its supposed to.
    I was very sceptical about changeing until 10 years ago.
    i tested the whole bunch of them before i desided on 1
    just like i did on the fixed blade until i desided on the muzzy..same thing
    I make a bad hit by 2 inches the deer go's down now thats the reason.
    the Rockets i shoot open to 2 inches and ive hit a deer quarting away and the hole in them was like 5inch long..these things are bad and you need to give them a try.
    The only other blade i use now is fixed off my re-curve its a lead cutting edge broadhead the steelforce sabertooth 100.
    but as far as going back to fixed.on a deer..i dont want a big buck getting away because of my mistakes or because he was nervious when he came in and tryed to jump the string..
    thats my stand on mechinicals.
    some work..some dont...im not useing the ones that dont.
    have a great bowseason:wave:

19. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

Thanks for that.:wave: I'd have to do some serious testing myself before I would consider changing. Maybe someday, but for now, I'll stick with my Muzzys.:biggrin1: Its that "if" they open that scares me. I try to get out as much as I can during the season, but even then my time is limited, and I can't risk anything.:cool:

20. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

i agree

100% i agree with you..be very sceptical about anything we do.
    and some of the guys on here that know me know how scepitical i am about takeing game.
    I didnt just jump up and one day say i was gonna shoot a mechinical.
    And im not any kind of salesman for anything.
    but i will tell you this.
    If you or anyone that shoots a muzzy..which i love..and switched to a 100gr Rocket hammerhead for 1 season.and got a shot at a deer...you would kick yourself for not trying them along time ago..i guarantee it.
    cause when i first used a Rocket Mini-blaster 10-12 years ago..i kicked myself royaly in the butt for not doing this earilier.
    and im 46 been bowhuntin since i was 15.and this old dog will learn a new trick every now and then.:lol: