Range Finder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BUDDY, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BUDDY

BUDDY Junior Member

While you guys are in your stand do you range things on the ground or do you range the deer before you shoot at it.I just got a finder but i dont want to be going nuts when the moment of truth happens.
    Thanks buddy:usa2:

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Well if I had a rangefinder I would range things before hand. Trees,bushes,barespots. That way when the moment comes you will not be fumbling around with things. I pace things off before getting into blind or stand. When the deer present themselves I want to be able to get my bow and be ready to draw within a couple seconds if needed. :peace:

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Range the objects around you first. You don't necessarlly want to range things on the ground, if it is a tree follow it up to eye level and range it there. There is a bit of a difference, and you don't want to find that out after you release your arrow. Good Luck

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Anyone have opinions on the Yardage Pro line from Bushnell?

5. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I have a yardage pro compact 600, works great!! I will always range odds and ends near my stand, just for referance when things start going down, i will try to range the animals if i can, but i dont depend on it to make a good shot!!!! You dont always have time to use it, so its best to not need it, but its a great tool if you have problems judging...

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Range objects in your shooting lanes. That way you don't lose an oppertunity on a shot. You want to be ready at a seconds notice to take that shot. If you range the animal you give you position away real easy, alittle noise or to much movement.
    That's just my .02.

I'm lookin' at a new one should I get the Nikon 440? Or go alittle extra and get the Leupold RXII??
    Opinions anyone?

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The Nikon 440 is awesome. Never used the Leupold.

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I'm looking at the Leupold because it has that "True Ballistic Range" and it isn't much more than the 440, like $270 I think.

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I've heard of that, haven't seen it though. Sounds amazing, how far out does it work to? Is the Leupold the one that does the true ballistic to 100 yards or does it only do 40?

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Simmons, makes one that I just saw in there master series, I think, that does yards, meters, and yrds....and is accurate to plus or minus 1 foot!!!!

I already ordered the Bushnell or I would have looked into that one......

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

The range is 3-750 yrds, it also does yards/meters/feet and it appears to have TBR all the way out to 750. none of the specs show different. The RX-I is $270 w/o TBR the RX-II has TBR and costs $300

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

So have you tried it out yet? I'm anxious to see how well it works, also kind of curious HOW it works? Do you punch in how high up you are or does it figure that out automatically? :noidea:

13. ALTHTOYS

ALTHTOYS Junior Member

i have tried one. Its point and shoot. I saved the 100 bucks and went with the nikon 440.

We put marking tap out in our shooting lanes when the stand is hung.

We have 800+ acers of total private land so things are left for the season.

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

No I haven't tried it out,and It figures out the angle automatically.