Range Finders

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chops, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Chops

Chops Junior Member

Okay....who has the cheapest range finder THAT WORKS? Is there anything out there besides hunting and golf that use them?
    Chops

2. fopsight

fopsight Junior Member

Nikon

Range finder, Nikon 440 comes in black or camo. $200.00 - 235.00. This one is 8x's magnification verse the usual 4X or 5X magnification. If your going to spend money, this one is a keeper. Support your local Archery Dealer. He can get one for you if needed. If not, online basspro or cabela's. Only way to range in your porched tree stand without trashing out immediate hunting area marking off yardage. Pick out shooting lanes/w objective distance objects. Range beginning of daylight and job is done.

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I use a Bushnell optical range finder made for golf. I think I paid about $40 for it several years ago at Pro Golf. It has no electronics which is why it's so inexpensive. It has a split-prizm in the center where you sight on an object, turn the adjusting ring until the object is not 'split' anymore. Kind of like a 35mm manual focus camera. The position of the adjusting ring shows the yardage. It may not be as accurate as a digital/laser rangefinder but it's a heck of a lot chaper and works very well. I also believe it's waterproof but I have not tested that feature of the device yet.

Ron

4. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Bushnell yardage pro 400 runs about $149 at Cabelas. If you know where one of Bushnells outlet stores is out you can pick one up for $99. Not a bad rangefinder and comes with a 2 year warrenty. Their outlet stores also ship via UPS or USPS so if you need a Phone # to one just let me know.

5. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

bushnell yardage pro scout, about $250, accurate within 1 yard

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I prefer the nikon 440 series. However, I am thinking about getting an optilogic and that is angle compensated. The leupold is nicer but doesn't go out past 60 yards angle compensated. I hope they fix that soon.

7. erasmu

erasmu Junior Member

I agree with the Nikon 440. Easy to use and accurate.

8. Ross cr331

Ross cr331 Junior Member

Nikon 440 is a great range finder for the money.

9. Keith

Keith Junior Member

After researching this question for some time I too went with the Nikon 440. At first I wanted one with angle compensation but like many, I found out that the difference in distance was of no consequence. I also heard from quite a few that were having problems with their angle compensated models. With the 440 you get good magnification and accurate to 1/2 yard. It's easy to use. Reads black target well and just works.

10. Allen

Allen Senior Member

This is the one that I bought. It ranges down to 11 yards and in half yards. Unless you plan to spend big bucks, it was the best value for bowhunting a couple of years ago when I did my research. I haven't looked at them since.