Rattling

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by ILhunter16, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ILhunter16

ILhunter16 Member

I was just wandering how many of you have had good luck rattling to bring in the bucks. If so, whats your technique?? Just Wondering... :noidea::biggrin1:

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

never worked for me...:noidea:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup me neither

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I tried it a few times never really had any success with it.

5. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Ithink they use trick photography to make it look like it works on the videos:bored:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I do believe it works, I just dont think it works in NY.......

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

It works!

You have to have alot of bucks competeing for does.
    Friday i rattled in a 6pt,4pt and a spike no big boys
    Ive been rattlin for about 20years
    It only works for me in the later part of thepre-rut to rut and in the secondary rut when the fawns at 6 months old come into there 1st heat cycle around dec.15
    I have a cutover around 200 acres with a ladder stand in the middle iv rattled and taken some nice bucks from in the past 10years.
    I use a grunt call and the horns togeather low and slow at first and get louder and louder after an hour.
    It allways work's for me but the big bucks circle you and try to wind you and if they do you wont even know it they can do it at 200yds and just walk away.
    So if you can beat there nose you can rattle them in.
    I do it in the wide open where i can see 200yds.

8. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Never had a buck respond to rattling but have had several come in on a rope to the snort wheeze from MAD. Grunt at them to get their attention and the let em have the wheeze,they will come in quick so get ready...

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I keep trying to rattle and nothing has ever happened. I don't know why I even try, every time I do the woods just go completely silent. Birds are quiet, squirrels are quiet, and I swear the wind stops blowing. I always get the feeling that I just scared away any deer within a mile every time I rattle. But, I keep thinking the next time I rattle this monster buck is going to come in. I have more success with grunting and the esturus doe can call.

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha clove

Like i said you have to be in an area with alot of bucks.
    The 200acre of Brier thick cutover in gun season when they run dogs in there they kill atleast 8 bucks and run out an equal amount of does.
    If your rattling in an area with 1 to 3 bucks and 15 does forget it.
    In Va our heard is over 1,000,000 + animals and the county i hunt in is small but is in the top 10 in the state for produceing deer
    Rattleing works get into the right area and try it.
    Ive caused 2 bucks to start fighting a couple of times.:biggrin1:

11. ILhunter16

ILhunter16 Member

i wouldnt call the property that i hunt on bad.... there are some nice bucks there no monsters that i have seen yet lots of small bucks 8pts 6pts 4pts is about all ive seen this year. but on a joinin property the guy shot a monster 16pter so idk:noidea:

But thanks for all the replys i really appreciate it :peace: :usa:

12. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

This is the first year I've tried rattling. Hasn't worked yet. I think I've got too many Does on this property. No reason for a buck to fight for it if he can get :censored: for free.

13. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

Rattling seems to be really hit and miss in my area. 75% of the days i do it, nothing happens. This past weekend was an exception. Every time i hit the horns together, a buck would be sprinting towards me within 15 seconds. It was the coolest thing ive had happen this year. Its weird how many deer are within earshot that you have no idea are there.