Raw shafts

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MO.HICK, Jun 27, 2006.

1. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

What do you all recomend for raw shafts? I am going to start making my own arrows. What shaft do you recomend? At the present my arrows weigh 404 grains. I would like to stay around that weight. I shoot a switch back set at 68# 29 inch draw. I shoot 100 grain tips and 2 inch duravains. I have Two sons that shoot real close to the same set up as I do. We want something we can all shoot so we can split the cost of materials. We shoot 3D and we hunt. Do a little indoor in the winter when we get board. Also what is a good supply company to get these from at a good price. Thanks for the help.

Thanks Tom

2. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

I made a mistake on what vains I shoot. They are 2 inch blazers.

Tom

3. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Junior Member

Try Chris here at 3Dshoots. He has almost eveything you need. If your wanting one shaft to shoot 3D and hunt I would look at Gold Tip

Big Dawg

4. BryanG

BryanG Junior Member

Patriot Arrows

Try patriot arrows. A few of us locally have been shooting them for the same things you are doing and have had good success with them. I have recently started shooting them on my Apex 7 and like them for that also. They only sell them in raw shafts. www.patriotsportsusa.com

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I would look at Goldtips or maybe carbon express maximas. The goldtips will probably be more durable in a hunting situation. They have various grades of straightness to choose from all the way to the Pro Hunters which are .001 straightness.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I shoot CX 3dselects to do all the things you are asking about and have never had a problem....although some people will say they are too light for hunting..

7. KNBodie

KNBodie Junior Member

I don't think they're too light. In the last 3 yrs w/ my q2xl 29" 60#, cx 200 3d selects 28" 2" 3d duravanes 85gr. thunderheads, I have had clean pass throughs on 1 whitetail 42yds. 3 mule deer 25, 34, 35, yds, 1 cow elk (quartered to me ) 18 yds. and 1 1100lb. BUFFALO 32yds. and the arrow went 15 yds. past the point of impact the buffalo only went 65yds. All yardages checked w a laser rangefinder. Shot placement is the most important thing!!

As to which shafts, I really like all CX shafts (they tune well for me and very consistant weight and spine) but GTips are really good to. What it comes down to is buy the straightest most consistent shaft you can afford, fletch them on one jig and then start robin hooding them. Good luck, Aim small, miss small.

8. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

Thanks for the help. Now I have some starting points.Thats is what I like about this site. Is all the help you get when a question is asked. Thanks again for all the help.

Tom

9. deadstroke

deadstroke Junior Member

I, personally have been using the goldtip hunter line for 3d and hunting and it has been nice to be able to upgrade from expeditions to pros for better straightness and weight tolerance without having to go through major resighting/tuning.