Recurve Question/Advice

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I'm in the market for a recurve.

I don't want entry level and I do want the ability to fit a sight at some point in the future. I have absolutely no clue what's out there. I also would like to understand the different rest options out there.
    I also want a takedown so I can travel with it.

Also, how do you translate draw length and weight from a compiund to a recurve ? Or maybe that question is an oxymoron... I have no clue...

The last time I shot a recurve was in Boyscouts about 30 years ago (I shot a LOT back then), but I have no idea what bow I was shooting or what weight... I do know the arrows were fiberglass and the bows were some sort of fiberglass/wood composite. The rest was more or less a felt pad on the riser shelf and the fletching were feathers.

Any advice would be good...

Thanks,

Ron

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Most recurves are built w/ 28" draw so a 45# bow is @28"
    You can +/- 3# for every inch above or below 28...so at 30" it would be 51#...
    PSE makes some nice takedowns and you can pick and choose from a bunch of limbs...

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks bud, that's a start...

Ron

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Who cares, he gave me more info that you did... :laugh:

Ron

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

No actually they are in my favorites...:laugh:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I helped one person tonight...i am maxed out in the help department:noidea: :noidea:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Tough day ? :laugh:

Ron

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

addicted much???:biggrin1:

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Re-curve!

Ha,Ron
    Well where to start!
    I shoot a 64lb compound hunting bow so i got a #55lb re-curve takedown
    First i went on e-bay bought a darton #55 to see if it was right for me payed$61 shipped won in auction, Yes it was right #45-55 @29inch draw!
    Then i searched for what i really wanted a take-down in the same!
    I checked PSE and liked there takedown check out the web best price on a new takedown!
    I found one on e-bay 2 years old #55 29inch draw got it $141 shipped Awesome bow!
    Im using 2213 XX78 with 4 inch feathers i make myself,got the shafts on e-bay cheap (every one wants carbon so alluminum is selling Low) $40 doz
    I also bought 1/2 doz steelforce sabertooth 125gr for hunting $21 for a half doz.
    Can ya tell im a e-bay Junkey!:laugh:
    Thats what my wife says but i bought her a $1000 Dell Dual core Laptop to keep her off mine $502 New in un-opened box with 1 year dell war.
    Ya I love E-bay!
    And I sold that darton ranger that i bought for $61 2 months later for $ 93
    Aint it great!

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yeah, but it's ok.
    I admit I have a problem...and Jesus loves me...:hug:

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks Ken,

Good information. How does the draw length fit into this ? I'm a 29". It's not like you have a draw stop or anything. And I was planning on using some aluminum arrows and not getting fancy at all with that.

Thanks again,
    Ron

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It's all in your anchor...there is no DL really...

13. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Hoyt Game ???? is it getter or master a take down recurve bow.

14. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I know but how do you figure out the weight you can pull vs. draw length ?
    That's part of what I'm trying to understand.

I wish I had one of those red bows we shot in Boyscouts.... They were sweet...

Thanks, Ron

16. red44

red44 Senior Member

I find 45lb recurves about all I want to hold. I am drawing a little more with a 29-30" DL. My coumpounds are set at 60#, 29"DL plus a loop. My wingspan is 75".
    Another route to go is to build or have a "WARF" built. It's an older compound riser with the limb pockets machined to accept ILF limbs. Bob Gordon over on tradtalk or AT can give you all the info. I have issues with the recurves I have stacking beyond 28", ILF limbs are said not to stack, so this is what I'm looking into. I have an add in the WTB section on the riser I'm looking for. Basicly a proline typhoon for those with shorter DLs, Bear Black Bears/Jennings Black Lightning for the middle lenths, and Hoyts for the longer draw lenths. Either the bears/jennings (same riser) or the hoyts will work for me I'm told.
    My only recomendation on DW is not to overdo. If you plan on actually holding and aiming, a 45-50 lb recurve is alot more to hold than a compound.
    I'm looking at a target weight of 40 @ 28 to keep it legal to hunt with here. I might be able to find an older 64 or longer bow on Ebay that does'nt stack but it's a crap shoot. If your a 28" or less the field is alot broader.

17. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Get yourself a Lancaster catalog so you can look up close at stuff first off. One thing you want to do is NOT get too high a poundage. My hubby bought 36# limbs and he is having alot of trouble. You can buy limbs for under $200 and work your way up poundage wise to where you want to be. Better to start out easier so you don't get frustrated. The basic stuff you'll want is a plunger, arrow rest...(are/magnetic rest is adjustable) tab (many choices) we got the cavalier ones. I bought an inexpensive $69 sight but you do get what you pay for...I ended up getting the Shibuya Ultima which is sorta like a sure-loc in function but much lighter and very lovely. I sent you a pm on more stuff. The biggest thing is that doing recurve is so different than compound but I'm really liking it, once I figure out where to anchor. There are some good books out there Total Archery by Kisik Lee is very good but not cheap. Rick McKinney has one called the Art of Winning which is good as well. Check out all the olympic archery stuff on YouTube...pretty crazy but you will like it but patience you must have. Compound is alot "easier" but recurve is satisfying if you hit the target LOL. Arrows are alot harder to get right as well, I've been screwed up a couple times now on that. Hopefull the ones I have coming now will be usable at my poundage. I shoot on the weekends with all recurve people and have talked to coaches that come by the park too so have lots of info but hard to put in place.

Limb length goes kinda by DL and I found that out pretty fast. We had a 25" riser and medium limbs and I couldn't anchor at all because the string angle was too far back. I got short limbs and 25" riser and it's perfect now. My friend has a Hoyt Nexus but I hate to say it but the Korean bows are superior. Win & Win is excellent and the Samick ones are good too. Not too many folks around with the PSE's. Mostly Hoyt, Win & Win and I've seen a few odd other brands. I love my bow..once I get settled into a range of weight, I'm at 28lbs now I probably will get 30lb limbs..either the Winex or what I'd really like the Win & WIn Inno power limbs to go with the riser. Bought an SKB recurve case from Keystone for $189 shipped holds 2 sets of limbs and riser etc.

This is an excellent forum for lots of recurve info...aussie site I stumbled upon http://www.archery-forum.com/ Ok I'll stop yapping before I really start making no sense. It's a blast but if you want top of the line you gotta know what to get and where to look.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  18. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I second getting the Lancaster catalog. as far as draw weight, I wouldn't look at anything over 40#@28in for a first recurve. It's not that you're not strong enough to draw heavier, but you're going to have to build strength in your fingers. I dabble with recurves occasionally and the first thing to break down in my shot is my fingers wearing out and getting tired.

I have a bow thats 35#@28in. my drawlength is about 31" so that's about 42-44 lbs draw weight and it's plenty for me. With a razor sharp 2 blade broadhead it'll pass through any whitetail alive.

If I wanted to put a sight on a recurve I'd look hard at the Hoyt Gamemaster II.