reflecthing camo arrows

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

So I'm looking to run blazers this year w/ my XT5575 gold tips and they are camo shafts (hey they are here and I'm gonna use em!) can I just peel off the old crappy 4" plastic ones and put on own or will it have an impact on the print?

also can I apply an arrow wrap to them without an issue?

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have some Camo Bemans that have been refletched a couple times and it never hurt the camo

3. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I have Easton Axis and all the camo wore off them after I fletched them a couple times. :mad:

4. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

If they are paid for and you are going to use them anyway, why worry about it. I've scraped the camo off a few in my lifetime. Not to worry. A target or a deer will not care about a black stripe where the fletching is.

5. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

Fletchings

If the glue is Super glue, or a glue that gets very hard, you will mark up the arrows scraping it off. If it is a soft fletching glue you can scrape off with a dull knife. I have taken factory glued vanes off by using a hair dryer. I know people that put them in boiling water for 5-10 seconds and peel them off. Then take a towel and run up and down shaft to remove remaining glue. Just clean shafts and wraps should stick fine.

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

my question was more of "will the camo coating be affected"... mainly if i strip these off is the camo pattern going to get lose and affect the fletching?

7. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

if you are so worried about that, why don't you just scrape all the camo off :noidea: :biggrin1:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

way to much work

9. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I never used or worked on a camo-arrow, so I couldn't tell you, but it sounds like you can just scrape it off were the fletching will go.

using wraps:
    One would think that if you applied an arrow wrap to it and than fletched it, you should have a problem with it. But it's only a guess???:noidea:

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

HEY I got an IDEA.......

do one and let us know how it worked.........:noidea: :laugh:

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yes you may scratch off some of the camo coating but who cares the deer will still be dead.:peace:

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh:

A few years ago I had some cheap carbon express camo rebel hunters and I had no issue with the camo coming off. I have no clue how that stuff is put on there these days so you might as well have at it and see what happens. And I had 6 of them wrapped and it was no issue. In fact the wrap just made it easier to strip the old vanes off (at a steep price though)...

Ron

13. L A Archery

L A Archery Junior Member

It will not hurt if you scrape some of the camo coating off. The rest of the camo will not become loose and come off by itself if that is what you are asking. If you dont want to marr the finish just scrape the vane off thene use goat tuff debonder to remove the glue. It works great but you will need several Q-tips and a paper towel.

14. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

yes. wraps work well on the finish... get with jc morgan here. look at his wraps. and can personalize them for you. I got some all white flames. which look sweet. as if you didnt already know!! lol

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

well figured I'd give it a shot. Just peeled off the vanes which was very difficult. Wish I knew if the camo coatin can come off without the carbon as I now have a 25" piece of camo wrapping that looks like carbon sitting on my bench.

ohhh yes. Now I remember why I hate shooting Gold Tip

I put a wrap on it... looks like crap. there are lots of little bumps which look like glue but they aren't where the fletchings were, there is an obvious bump / line of air pockets if you will along where the camo "seam" is... bleh

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  16. Joe_P.

Joe_P. Senior Member

Sometimes some of the camo scrapes off a little bit after you refletch an arrow a few times. I would recommend using arrow wraps, the vanes stick much better and it is easier to remove the fletching later if you decide to change the fletching or refletch.