rest/arrow question by newbie

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by dubnvento, Feb 4, 2008.

1. dubnvento

dubnvento New Member

Ok, so I just bought my bow and wanted to purchase a whisker biscuit delux arrow rest but there are two different sizes. One is medium for 20XX size arrows or smaller and the other is 23XX or smaller arrows. Which one do I get? I know nothing about what arrows I will be shooting. The bow is used for hunting and practice shooting only. Any help would be appreciated.

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Post up the specs of your bow, draw weight/length, what type etc... Give us the info and we can set you up with properly spined arrows.

3. like tnts said, we need more info to give you a correct answer

4. dubnvento

dubnvento New Member

No problem. It's a Fred Bear Element with a 29" draw length and 70 lbs draw weight.

5. HCAman

HCAman New Member

What arrows are you planning on shooting!:biggrin1:

6. dubnvento

dubnvento New Member

I really didn't have a specific arrow in mind. I would proably order my first arrows off cabelas or find them at the local archery shop. Any suggestions would help. However I don't want to spend an arm and leg for them. Some mind price range will work. I will be using broadheads for hunting and not sure I would use for practice.

7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

5575 or 7595 gold tip xt's, good shaft at a reasonable price. You are like me, just straddling the line between 5575's and 7595's. Or try the 350 maximas, better arrow but more expensive. If you have someone to cut and fletch your arrows you can get a dozen gt xt's off ebay for like $49. I bought two dozen of them just to stock up!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gold-Tip-XT-557...ryZ20844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best deal on arrows I have ever found, I get a discount on Carbon express through my shop but I still shoot gold tips....:noidea:,

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  8. dubnvento

dubnvento New Member

Thanks for the help. So what size whisker biscuit to I get?

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I think the size I shoot is a medium, the arrow should fit loosely. I have about 1/16" of air all the way around my arrow if I hold it in the center of the hole. If they are too tight they can be noisy when you draw your bow. Too loose isn't a bad thing, but if it's too small you won't have to worry about shooting any deer because they will bust you every time you try to draw on one. I do suggest shooting blazer vanes if you go with a WB, you will be much happier with that combo than with 4 inch el cheapo vanes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  10. dubnvento

dubnvento New Member

thanks for all the info, it sure helps. Any suggestions on sights?

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

That's all a matter of preference. I suggest looking at a few and see what you think you like the most. I shoot a Truglo, middle of the road. I just can't see spending 200-300 on a spott-hogg....:doh: You can get a nice tool-less truglo 5 pin sight for under $80. I would suggest getting .019" pins rather than .029" (too big) or .010" (too small). That's just my opinion.

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I like the Trophy Ridge Flatliner...

13. sqwert

sqwert New Member

WB and arrows

A med. whisker Biscuit and somthing like Eastons ICS Hunters with a .400 spineand 100gr. tips, would be a good place to start.

Have fun and good shooting. :welcome:

14. sqwert

sqwert New Member

Montana Black Gold makes a good sturdy 3 pin sight for a good price. This and a WB rest are a pretty fool proof setup for a beginner hunter. Simple durable and gets the job done. :cool: