Russian or Razorback?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bugle freak, May 8, 2008.

1. bugle freak

bugle freak New Member

Which of these boars are bigger and funner to hunt??? Which would you choose??? show me pics if you have some of these boars

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

hey, we have a hunting section.....this would get results, if you tried posting it there.......

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Lighten up Francis. :lol:

I think the Russians are bigger than the Razors. True Russians are huge, which makes them trophies, not eaters. Razors are a name that is given to a mix bread piggie with a bad attitude that has a line of long hair that stands straight up running down it's back. :noidea:

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

well

I never hunted a razor-back but like pred. said there just a cross breed
    Go get ya a true russian..there awesome to hunt
    heres mine

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. pred8er

Where'd you shoot that at? I know those true Russian hunts are spendy, maybe someday:noidea: . Thats a nice look'n porker!:rockon:

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

hi pred..

I took that boar about 10 years ago in tenn. at cumberland mountain outfitters $350 then..I dont know what it cost now.
    They had them imported in true russians only.
    Shot him at 27yds with a satelight titan 125gr
    and a Onieda Eagle-Areo-force X-80 on 75lbs
    The boar dressed at 285..the guide figured about 315 live weight.
    I got chased by one while i was there...long story but fun..:lol:

7. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

A couple of days ago.

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Maybe someone should move it to the proper section? :noidea:

9. pred8er

That's a funny look'n bow, who makes it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. turk

turk New Member

All hogs are fun

And odds are that when you cross paths with one, he'll have already crossed paths with other hogs of different breeds, making him a cross! kill'em all and let your taste buds sort them out.:rockon:

11. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Mossberg!
    I also had a Savage 30.06 which would have been closer to a bow....

There was alot of flooding and the owner was worried about tracking in all the water so the bow stayed in the case.

12. bugle freak

bugle freak New Member

dens 228, is that hog a razorback or russian??? how much did it weigh

where did you kill it

13. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

It's a russian from what I'm told.
    It weighed in at 275, I shot it at Hog Wild up in Michigan.
    It was a great time.

14. bugle freak

bugle freak New Member

dens 228, tell me about the hunt! did you use dogs? how long did it take you to kill it? What did u kill it with?? Was this an exciting hunt and would you ever do it again???are you getting it mounted???

Im asking these ?'s because im thinking of going on one of these hunts!

15. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Nope, spot and stalk. I went with a buddy and his 13 year old son, his son was going for a buffalo. I brought my bow and a shotgun. I decided on the shotgun on the owners recommendation due to alot flooding and standing water so we were worried about the after the shot tracking.

Right when we got out of the truck we saw a herd of buffalo crossing the meadow a couple of hundred yards away and go into the woods. Timing is everything which worked out for us so we headed into the woods angling to cut them off, with me about 10 yards behind my buddy and the owner. A little while into it I saw some boar moving through the brush about 50 yards to our right so I broke off and stalked them. I got within about 30 yards and stopped because I didn't want to spook the buffalo for the kids hunt. I had them in my scope for about 15 minutes trying to pick out the best one. The boar started working their way towards the swamp which would bring them within 20 yards of me and I really didn't want to let them get into the swamp without me taking a shot. The biggest one was also the last in the line as they walked by so I put two slugs into him. He ran about 15 yards and fell over. Both shots were right behind the shoulder, the second was about 2 inches behind the first. Either one was a kill shot. Right after my second shot I heard the shot on the buffalo.

I spent the rest of the day stalking some boar but was only going to shoot one if it was better than the one I already shot which I didn't see. I saw plenty of boar though.

I also spent a long time stalking a ram but the only shot I had was when I had a wire fence between us and I didn't want to shoot through the fence. It worked out though since in the past six months I've had a bear, buck, and now the boar mounted so I really didn't want another taxidermy bill!

I had an absolute blast and will definitely go back and go strictly bow. They fed us well, the cabin was clean, the weather was great. I'm getting a shoulder mount and also having them send me the skull.

In total it was probably 90 minutes until I took the shot. They were in the hardwoods so visibility was pretty good otherwise I doubt I would have seen them. If they had been in the swamp and I had to find them I'm sure it would have taken longer. Like I said, timing is everything!