sand target for broadheads

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by vgvxfm1, May 13, 2008.

1. vgvxfm1

vgvxfm1 New to archery

all the threads i read from all the different forums say that sifted sand is best to use for broadheads, but no one has figured out how to make sand "stand" for a decent target. I have been working steadily on this for a few months now. and i have found an almost perfect solution to make sand "stand"
    in short, build a U out of 2x10 and use ferring strips (1x3) around the outside of the U like ur making a picture frame. slide two pieces of 1" foam insulation on the inside, and fill the remaining void with sifted sand. then place a 2x10 on top to keep sand in in case of tip over. i placed mine inside of a shallow tote i bought from walmart to keep the sand in one place. after the foam is destroyed, just lay on side, and replace the foam. refill with the sand that fell out in the tote. if you want technical drawings, you can email me and i will be happy to send you drawings. :) i used 4-5lbs bags of playground sand and filled it to the top. as long as you dont pack the sand in, no harm to the arrow. and if your not crazy about foam, you can use lumber tarps stretched and stapled to the frame and then place the 1x3 over the tarp. (no residue that way) :)

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

how about a picture?

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, that would be a help. And they use 'sand' for 'sand blasting'... I'm not sure why you would want to quickly dull broadheads by shooting them into what would be a sand backstop... Another issue would be that if you use mechanical broadheads the blade pivots would quickly get clogged and lose their agility because of sand.

In my opinion sand is good for one thing, and it does it well, and that's the beach...

I don't mean to be a pain, unless we see a pic or something it just don;t make any sense. Welcome to the foum as well. This is a good place...

:welcome:

Ron

4. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I use sand to make sure my broadheads hit about the same as my field points. I just use one broadhead for this and keep the rest sharp. NO big deal. Any thing you can bank sand in will work with one end open to shoot into..........

5. vgvxfm1

vgvxfm1 New to archery

cant get picture cause i dont have a digital camera, but i can post my technical drawings, and as far as dulling the broadheads, i use old heads to sight in and check accuracy, same heads i use to hunt with, only older. u can also fill it with the packing peanuts or the little plastic/foam beads.