Scent Control Issue

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by IAHunter11, Oct 6, 2007.

1. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

OK here is the problem I am very scent control anal.. I hunt with a buddy of mine who does not think it is quit as important as I do.. I use all the soaps detergents sprays wafers everything possible to try to control my scent.. my buddy washes himself and his clothes like everyday uses normal deodorant and chews apple bubble gum.. The only thing he does is uses scent away on his clothes before going out... Yesterday I shot a buck in the morning and a doe in the evening.. He can't understand why the deer only work towards me... So today I went to the stand he was in yesterday and he went to the one I was in... After sunrise I was looking around and I happen to notice 2 ciggerett butts on the tree branch like he was smoking in his tree stand and not wanting to put the butts on the ground b.c the scent that would be on them... I Found this a huge problem.. I was just wanting to get everyone's opinions on this situation.. As far as I am concerned he should have just pee'd on his tree.. I guess it would not bother me as much but we share tree stands and I think the is going to have an affect on my success... What does everyone else think..

2. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I am the same as you when it comes to scent. I would not be too concerned with him if he pees from his tree but the smoking is a BIG NO_NO!!!! I pee from my tree and have had deer smell the area where I peed and not been spooked. I think you will get a split decision from most people about pee. The cigarettes are a 100% guarantee not to see deer. I would tell him if continues to smoke you will not share stand sites. Then let him keep smoking and moving deer to you.:usa:

3. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I am in a similar position that you are in. My brother lives a few hours away and can only hunt a few weekends out of the year when he comes home. As I am busy taking my scent blocker clothes out of my scent free bag and then spraying myself down with white lightning after I have taken a scent free shower he is telling me I am wasting my time worrying about being scent free. I disagree with him. He does not worry at all about scent and I am paranoid about it. At least he does not smoke. But it bothers me that he sits my stands and may be leaving all sorts of scent around which may indirectly effect my hunting later in the year. What do you do, it's my brother. I can't tell him he can't hunt unless he starts being as paranoid about scent as I am.

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I agree that scent control is very important. But my uncle kills 2 or 3 deer every year and the ground around his stand looks like a bar floor. I just don't get it.:doh:

5. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I would find a new hunting partner. No question asked just find excuses why you cant hunt with him. :frusty:

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,Bud!

I smoke too but i leave them in the truck,i brush my teeth in the morning,wash my clothes in bakeing soda,eat only peanutbutter crackers for breakfast,and on stand,use scentkiller spray earth scent waffers,and peppermint candy all day.
    I do not smoke in the morning before i hunt until after i get a deer back to the truck.
    This morning was my states opener.
    I had 4 does and 3 babys under me eating acorns at 10yds.
    And after they left i had an 8pt under me at 4yds and no shot until he got out to 18yds,he never say it comein.
    Im a heavy smoker been one for 20years! stupid habit
    But tell your friend that whats more important, if he cant put them down for 4 or 5 hours, think about when he's sleeping for 8hrs or do's he sit up all night?
    Deer huntin to me is more important, been doin it since i was 5 im 47 now!:biggrin1:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  7. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

went on a bear hunt and the guide told everyone not to smoke after they ate lunch. All of the people that didn't listen to him and smoked in their trucks on the way to their stands went home with no bear. I dont get it if you would spend all that money and take time off work why would you not take a 6 hour break each day from smoking.

Animals are very sensetive to the smell of smoke, it never means anything good for them.

Congrats on the buck again kbohunt

8. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Im a smoker, and i smoke in my stand, on my way to it, in the truck, ext, I have put lots of animals down with my bow, In fact theirs been a few times, ive had deer right under my stand while smoking, But I also am always checking the wind, I always try to stay down wind, and i set my stands so i am, If the wind changes, ill move, I know where the deer come and go to and from at night and in the am, ive done lots and lots of scouting, so i set up in proper areas. Now im sure ive spooked lots of game, but who hasent?? Theirs no way to be 100% scent free. I do put my butts and a double plastic bag, i dont toss them all over. thats just direspectfull to nature. If you manage the wind right, it dosent really matter how bad you smell dose it??

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I agree on the pee, I never would have believed it if I hadnt seen what I saw last year......

hunting on some PRIVATE property, that I have permission to be on, I was sittingin my stand, when a person and a dog come looking for me.....I am hunting a series of small hills and banks.....the person (never saw them) is at the top of the next hill, banging on some trees :noidea: ....(guees he/she thought this would scare the deer away).....

well anyway the dog comes over and pees in ON THE TREE I am 18" high in my climber.....

I was so mad, I wanted to drop the dog right there......so I sit there fuming, ready to pack it in.......

20 minutes go by and low and behold a spike buck walks up and sniffs the tree and just goes about his business......:noidea:

so pee, I just move a rock pee in the hole and cover it backup when I am finished......:noidea:

BUT SMOKING on the other hand, why ruin your life and the lives around you by taking part in that nasty habit??

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

YOU know what drives me insane??

smokers, need cigerette breaks.......

I AM A FAT GUY, I DONT GET A FRIGGEN CAKE BREAK......:frusty: :frusty: :censored: :censored:

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

What!

They wont let u have a donut and coffee?:noidea:

12. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Bunnies eat cakes?????

13. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

What do I think? Well, if I had done what you did yesterday my season would be over.

Great job by the way!! Looks like the precautions you take are paying off.:high5:

14. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

You say that you were 18" of the ground in your climber. Considering that says 18 inches I hope you didn't get too wet when the dog peed.:laugh:

15. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

No Problem.....Just hunt upwind of him and tha deer will migrate your way :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

16. thjacobi

thjacobi Senior Member

I have a serious sent question that sounds really stupid. Remember I have never hunted deer in any way yet and am a total novice to this.

What happens if you have to fart in the stand while hunting? Will it make a big difference or do the deer not notice it? :noidea: :noidea:
    Serious question but I can take a little razzing if you feel so inclined. Thanks,

Ted

17. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Eat a lot of apples and corn. when you break wind it will act just like one of them smoke sticks.:lol:

18. ross334

ross334 Junior Member

I personally think that too much of an issue is made over smoking while on stand. i have hunted deer for 42 years, and have always smoked off and on in that period, and always on stand when I was smoking. Never bothered the deer one bit. My feeling about the whole smoking thing while hunting is this......deer do not know what cigarettes are, nor do they know that humans smoke cigarettes, therefore they cannot associate cigarette smoke with humans, nor with danger for that matter. They may even be curious about the foreign odor in the woods. As long as the smell of smoke is not a predatory or danger flag to them, they go about their daily business. I do, however feel that the movement associated with smoking could cause them some alarm. Like others have said, I have had deer directly under me while puffing away. I also think that those who are so dead-set against smoking while on stand are also non-smokers, so there is of course some bias attached to their concern. Just my views and opinions on the matter.

19. Holy Smokes

I use gas x and keep um controled. Ol poppa Dean ,my mentor, when on a bow hunt in 77 at tha cabin I broke some wind and he said ya had better keep them to yourself in tha stand and I think he meant there to. Now he was a deer slayer. So I have very carefully followed his teachings
    !00 + deer with a bow to my credit and his..... Well I must also include the Good Lord-He's my huntin' buddy.

20. Holy Smokes

:biggrin1: