Scope w/ no pin or dot

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BuckeyeRed, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Shooting a scope w/ no pin or aiming dot, just centering the scope on the spot you want to hit.

Been hearing about this more and more recently and it sounds intriguing.

I would like to give this a try, advise from those who've tried it or are currently setup like this would be great.

2. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I do not but I shoot with some guys the have a circle in there scope. They center it.

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I have shot with just a circle in the middle of my scope...I now have a dot in the middle of the circle. I want to try a true spot scope though...

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I think your talking about a true spot lense.....:noidea:

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

I use a circle on my scope lens and center it on the target, but wouldn't a scope housing be just a little too big to center? :noidea:

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I have a staff shooter that shoots just the way you describe and he is not using a truespot lens either. I've never tried it but it works for him. I do have a couple of guys that are using the truespots that come into the shop and shoot.

7. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

They are sweet, but I couldn't just buy a truespot lens and fit it into my black eagle scope...or could I :noidea:

8. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Like Chris said. No true spot, No circle sticker or cross hair, just a plain regular lens. You use a peep size just large enough to see the inner housing on the scope and can see their level, then focus just on the spot they want to hit.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah i dont know if I could do that:noidea:

10. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I definitely know I could not do that......no I would be all over the place

11. archeryisme

archeryisme Old and Experienced

No Dot

I am shooting the Speciality Archery dual power lens. It has a center lens that is 6 power with the outer lens a 2 power. You can get these in different sizes and powers. I have no dot, pin ,or circle on it. When looking at the nfaa 5 spot target all I can see is the white 5 ring. On the VEgas target Ijust see the yellow. I just center the X in the scope and it is VERY clear. No pin or dot to try to focus on. Just focus on the X. You can pretty much do the same thing with using a circle on your scope lens instead of a dot or pin.

12. jp20

jp20 New Member

How do you know where to put the x at the different yardages? Seems as if you would need a fast bow to use this scope. Please explain how to aim when shooting a 20 yd target and a 45 yd target. I do like the sound of this concept.

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I've heard of people using these center magnified scopes for indoor or field rounds. I've never heard of anyone using them for 3D. You really need something to focus on with them.

I have however heard of people using a clean lens with no markings at all for 3D. They just let their mind center the scope on where they think the 10 ring is and fire away.

14. archeryisme

archeryisme Old and Experienced

Jp20

JP most when using the scope we are talking about are shooting spots at 20 yards. However some including myself have shot 3-d with the same setup. You move your whole site for different yardages and you always focus on what you are wanting to hit. There is no X on the scope lens. The X I was refering to was the X on the target.

15. jp20

jp20 New Member

Sorry. You had me confused with an x being on the lens. It makes sense now.