Screwed up sight fiber...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I messed up my sight fiber this past weekend... The loop of fibers above the head got caught on a branch and got damaged pretty badly. They basically need to be replaced, along with the protective tubing (that didn't protect it). Does anyone have a recommended place to buy fiber and associated tubing ? I need .019 fiber in at least 3 colors (green, yellow, red). I have a Trophy Ridge Guide Series 5 pin sight however I have an older one that does not have the "Protective Fiber Cage" on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ron

2. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Fiber optics

I just bought some bulk(15 ft, 3 colors) on ebay for $20. You might try there

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I found the fiber... Thanks a lot.
    I have not found the tubing yet.
    Will keep trying.

Need it before this weekend. 2 shoots out this way for the holiday weekend.

Ron

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

i think a lot of people use the tubing for fish tanks?

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I need this very small diameter tubing, 1/8" OD maybe ? It almost looks like tubing that would be used for infusing drugs, IV's, etc... in the medical industry.

I'll try and post a pic to show what I mean. The individual fibers thread through this small tubing and then the tubing goes through holes in the sight guard and wrap around the whole thing about 3/4 of the way. They stick upward on the left side of the sight to be exposed to light. I looked at Trophy Ridge WEB site and they don't have my sight displayed any longer. It's been discontinued, which I can now understand why...

Ron

6. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Fiber optic tubing

Ya might try your local harware store or Home Depot for what your needing. Good luck!

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Been there, done that, and nothing.

I don't actually live in a bustling urban metropolis like Chicago (I'm originally from there) so I don't have a lot of obvious options. Nice lifestyle out here, but somewhat short on local retailers and item selections. Hunting (black powder and shotgun) and fishing is the fare out this way. Anything else is pretty much an anomoly. I'm lucky to have a good archery pro shop down the street from where I live. (He can't get the stuff either. I knew somebody was going to ask.)

I'm going to talk to a friend of mine whose wife is in the medical profession and see what she can do. In this short of time that's probably my best bet. Some IV tubing or something would probably work. Might cost me a couple of beers, but beats burning gas running around town trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Good thing I'm unemployed right now otherwise I'd probably be buying a new sight and scrambling to get it sighted in for the weekend. I have time to figure this out and save some cash.

Thanks guys,

Ron

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

In the back of Bowhunter Mag there is an ad for optics and tubing here's the site.
    http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks, I did see that web site but they have a 2 day ship window and would not get here by the weekend.

I got some fiber locally and a friend got me a couple of IV tubes from the hospital his wife works at. Worked perfectly. I fixed the sight last night and I'm good to go. Just need to re-sight elevation(s) because I had to remove the pins. Thanks for the ideas.

Ron

10. Keith

Keith Junior Member

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks,

I did check out Fitzfiber but I had to settle for a local supplier since I needed the stuff by yesterday... Off to the first 3d shoot of the weekend. Have a good one guys.

Ron