Seems my new arrows might be overspined?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by chelleo, May 4, 2007.

1. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Got my CXL2's and after putting in the new point weight etc etc...seems they are now too stiff. I can't add different tips, using the pigpoints now which max at 100gn. They put in inserts and now I'm sorta stuck with max 100gn points unless someone knows of something else I can do? Bowman I know you are using CXL's too any ideas? I'm using the AA program here at work and at home it said they were just slightly stiff which I know is fine. I'm just wondering if they are usable even if they are too stiff.

2. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I wouldn't see why not? I shoot Gold Tip 22 series whis is a 300 spine at 27" (27" draw) and get them flying clear down to 47#. My normal setup is 53# to 55# with good results.

Just remember, better a little stiff than a little weak with carbons. But then, maybe that's why most of them shoot within a 20# range or so, or are at least advertised as such.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

which cxl2 are they??? 150's???

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Are ya having a tuning issue?
    If those Puppy's are flyin' true shootem'

5. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Yes they are the 150's and I havnt even shot them cept bare with no fletching so far.

I have weighed everything and the fletched weight is 340grain but the program doesnt have them but at barely over 300. Not sure why that is I've put in all the components exact weights hmmm. I was just worried I'd have something blow up on me and I don't want any weird things happening.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

we have the same problem w/our Archers Advantage program....We just way the finished shaft........hang on a second......why are you woried about weight.....your only shooting 36-37lbs...you only need a 180gr arrow to be 5gr. per pound.....here is my setup....

55lbs.... 27"dl....29"arrow....CXL2 150......125gr tip.....3.125"quikspins....

any shorter on the length or less tip weight and they wouldnt tune for crap....

7. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

So here are the stats on the components etc.

Arrows are 27" 180
    tip and insert are 109.3
    Fletching 13.5
    nock and nock ring are 15.6

total wt is 319.30 but when I actually weigh the arrow it comes out to 340.

Hmm do I have a goofy scale or something??? Got it from those Obsession people hehehe.....maybe we need to get them to wave a magic wand over it or something LOL. Yes the scale is calibrated....:Cry:

So how do I calculate what I should do for point wt etc. I can bring my points down to like 70gn if I want. What is the magic forumula besides using those programs ??

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the lower the tip weight the stiffer the arrow.....

why can you not go any higher than 100 gr. tips.....we have screw in field points at the shop all the way up to 180 I think.....

you need to go up in tip weight....i would say start at 200 and go from there

you could also start w/a longer shaft but you probably allready have them cut.....

9. tek

tek Senior Member

Using TAP your arrows would weight 339.9 grains using a CXL2 27"/100grain tip with inserts.

Also at 36#s with Cam 1/2 ?? your draw weight would be 14.3# to light.

You would need a 175 grain tip according to TAP. Your arrow weight would be 419.9 grains. A 150 grain tip might work as its only 4#s off.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

for the bow or the arrows???

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

weight!!

I feel i need to step in here!
    Are yall trying to tell her she need's to shoot a 400gr arrow off a 36lb bow,to get better accuracy,change spine of arrow,quiet bow down,what ?

Programs are made by people,people make programs,think for yourself people through trial & error before a proooogram gets your head all messed up!

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Its TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO late.:doh:

13. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Don't get too excited over the spine being a bit stiff. Don't worry about getting too light of arrow unless you are below 5gr per pound. At 36# you are fine as long as your arrow weighs more than 180gr complete.

I'm not sure on the 340gr weight calculation though.
    Are you saying the weighed individual components on the scale show the following?
    Arrows are 27" 180
    tip and insert are 109.3
    Fletching 13.5
    nock and nock ring are 15.6

Yet put together it shows 340?

Be real careful when weighing shafts that the shaft is balanced on the scale perfectly and not sitting on the edge.

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Now that's exactlly what I meant. Well spoken Big guy

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Thats wright!

Thats, more like it, Arrow spine is also determined by the head you put on it.
    to heavy your weakining the spine which will cause the arrow to wobble in flight,which a 180gr arrow with a 75to 100gr head would be fine.
    a 125gr or greater on a thin walled shaft will cause to much wobble or weak spine.
    causeing a hard to tune arrow.
    If your shooting wt is 340gr on 36lbs thats alittle bit heavy arrow weight,i shoot 315gr on 52lb.
    Lighten your point to a no-insert 6% nib point if this can fit in these arrows im not sure they only weigh 45gr. & if your fletching is long u can reduce weight by choosing shorter vanes, check out feathers they weigh less too.:biggrin1:

16. tek

tek Senior Member

All I'm saying is what TAP shows to use when I put everything in about the bow and arrows. It shows the bows weight as being 14#s to light for the arrow spine. Its usually very close and a good starting point.

It also shows the insert weight is 28 grains instead of 9 :noidea:

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Tap

The tap probably shows you what arrow wt to build to on your bow lbs pull weight.
    I dont think it will show you if you have to much arrow weight how to correct it.
    You wouldnt crank your bow up 14lbs to match the arrow weight.
    You would try to lighten the arrow weight,by reducing insert weight or no insert at all and small vanes that dont weigh as much,less point weight.
    If this doesnt work get new arrows that weigh less.:biggrin1:

18. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I plugged both calculations into the Archers Advantage at 318.4 and at 340 grains. it still shows you'll need aprox. 54lbs for optimum spine. The best ones I saw that are for your setup are Beman ICS Energy 690 at 317grns. and CX Medallions 700 at 306 grns. If you can get the 150's to shoot straight. go for it. I'd only paper tune if you cant get decent groups. I havent paper tuned my bows in a few years. Really not an issue..

19. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

draw length

Ha,pinwheel
    If you look at her thread where she's shooting her new bow she could cut 3 to 4 inches off that arrow( it hanging over in front about 3 inches) to obtain a lighter arrow or even go to an overdraw.
    That would be what 30 to 50gr lighter!
    Might make it fly better!:biggrin1:

20. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

But cutting the arrow down will also increase spine. I say if they group then shoot em.:peace: