Selecting recurve bow length and draw weight

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by JohnSmith, May 28, 2008.

1. JohnSmith

JohnSmith New Member

Hi, I've decided to take up archery (just target shooting for now). I've settled on getting a recurve bow, but I'm not sure what kind I should get. I'm a man, 5'10", large build, with a 6' "wing span". I'd like to learn to shoot a bow that's suitable for hunting deer.

What little information I've been able to find online on bow length says I should be shooting a 66" or greater bow. But most of the (less expensive) recurve hunting bows I've seen online are 58"-60" or less. Are these bows designed for my draw length (which I've estimated at 28"-28.8"), or will I find them hard to use? Do I need a 66" bow or is that just for competitive archery?

Also, am I completely insane to want to learn to shoot with a 60# recurve or should I go lower?

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

60" would be fine for a 28" draw. I draw a recurve about 31" so I like a 64" bow. 60# is pretty heavy to start. I would go lower if I were you. I shoot a bow that's only about 45# to target shoot.

3. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Drawing a 64" recurve out to 31"!? How do you keep from turning that sucker wrong side out?!:bowl:

4. J.C.

J.C. New Member

It's probably more like 30.5"........:D :D

It's a B handle Bear Kodiak Takedown with #3 limbs. shoots great. I had those limbs on my C handle which made a 70" bow and I hated it.

I also have some #1 limbs which makes a 60" bow, but it had some finger pinch. 66" would probably work well for me too.

5. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

When I went looking at recurves they wouldn't sell me anything under 68" for a 31" drawl length....soooo...I didn't buy one. :)

I'm starting to feel like a junkie going through withdrawals. My bow is on order...and I only get the occassional "fix" using rental gear with arrows that are too short. Now....where's the smiley for insane? :lol:

6. Thundergod

Thundergod New Member

I am wondering, is there a thread that I have yet to see that explains a lot of the terms used?

I am in the market for a bow and I am not sure on what to get started with. I am a big guy (6'2") and I have a wing span of about 6'5" (does this matter?) Anyway, sorry for the newbie questions...

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

here's some reading material. it covers your questions about drawlength and then some:

be sure to click on your draw length

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#11-drawlengths

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  8. Thundergod

Thundergod New Member

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

yes it's good to know your draw length when shooting traditional because most longbow and recurve draw weight is defined at 28 inches. for instance you'll see 50# @ 28". for longer draw length guys like us that means that particular bow will draw heavier. It 's usually 2-3 lbs extra for every inch of draw length. so for the 50# weight example, for us it would be 57-58#. for me personally, I like to shoot a 35#@ 28" bow which makes my draw weight about 42#. this is comfortable for me to shoot for a while. for hunting, I go maybe 6-8# heavier. you'll see some guys that shoot 60-70# recurves but I dont do that because I dont shoot them that much and when I shoot real heavy weights my fingers start bothering me and my form breaks down. I shoot mostly compounds though. If you want to shoot recurves mostly I would look in the classifieds on AT or on ebay and buy a lighter draw weight cheap bow and shoot it for a while, then either trade it or buy another one of slightly higher weight and keep doing that until you work up to the weight you want to be at. for your drawlength I wouldnt go any shorter than 64". Good luck with it. I love trad bows but I get frustrated with my lack of progress shooting them and go back to my training wheels and sights.....:biggrin1:

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Im Lost lol

Find a 62-64 inch takedown recurve you will be fine
    I shoot a 50lb 60in ranger recurve and a 62in PSE Talon takedown in 55lb
    29in draw and i sometimes string walk and shoot 30+inchs
    The bows dont flip out at i can pull my talon back 2 34-35inchs no problem and would probably be around 60lbs but i dont shoot them that way
    get a 62in impala @55lbs 29inch draw and youll be fine between 55-60lbs
    great for hunting..tournaments and wont break your wallet.
    Heres a pic of a talon..the impala took its place..same bow

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010