sharpening g5 broad heads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by jack jaeger, Oct 19, 2007.

1. jack jaeger

jack jaeger Junior Member

I have switched over to the g5 one piece head and love the way it flies but am not happy with the sharpness even out of the box has anyone truly got thiers razor sharp ? If so how do you do it ? I would love to be able to get these heads as sharp as thunderheads.

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

Not sure they'll ever be as sharp as Thunderheads. Blades are different thicknesses and different angle of grind. The best way I've found is to use a mill file, one wide enough to lay the head on and get full width contact. Push one stroke per side at a time. If you want to go further, get the finest stone you can and use very LIGHT contact/strokes. This gave me a sharper head than out of the box for sure.

3. D Harvey

D Harvey Member

I just got rid of my montec 100s for that reason, just couldn't get them sharp enough.

4. red44

red44 Senior Member

I was'nt to happy with them either. I asked the guys over on Tradtalk about sharpening 3 blade fixed heads. They suggested the file for starters. I was skeptical but sure enugh it works better that just stones, or sandpaper, or the G5 sharpener I have. Also worked on my Snuffer SS and Razorcaps. I got my file at the local Ace Hardware. Just a medium "grit" mill file.

5. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

This will be my last year for them too. They're not that sharp out of the package, and I'm not good at resharpening things! I like the g5 stuff though, so maybe I'll try the Strykers.

Ben

6. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

Montec makes a sharpening stone that works really well.

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

Give a mill file a try before you abandon ship. A file is cheaper than new heads. I have the G5 sharpener, and watched their video, not so sharp IMO. The mill file did much better.

8. I missed

I missed Senior Member

i shot a squrril with one that had been shot into the ground a few times and into a target alot and got a pass through..................

just wanted to say it:rockon: :peace:

9. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I shoot the b-52 2 blade, I also have a g5 sharpener. Its the best thing ive ever had to sharpen those heads, 2 or 3 light pulls and they shave hair no problem. Now if the head is really dull you might need something more agressive, but mine works awsom so far....

10. chainsaw

chainsaw Junior Member

they are not going to feel as sharp

The sharpening angle is not as steep as you would find on other broadheads. And I see a double angle on my slick tricks. The Montecs will never feel as sharp as others heads, but this head should be alot more durable. I believe you will not find a broken montec. I sharpened mine last night using wet and dry sandpaper on a piece of glass, started with 320 and ended with 1500. I take only three stokes and then rotate it. The finished product is almost a mirror.

11. Werd

Werd Senior Member

yea rage have a double sharpen too

12. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I ve got a pass threw on a doe, a tree rat, and half way through a tree:frusty: ....it took about two beers to get that G5 sharp and ready for the next critter.

13. J.C.

J.C. New Member

All with one shot? :noidea:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

You should see what I can do when I am trying.:laugh:

15. D Harvey

D Harvey Member

I like the way you measure time Gator eye:D

16. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I bought a med. bastard mill file yesterday, and gave it a try. It was better, and shaved a little hair, unlike before. I wonder how much that's changing the weight ...I'll run an experiment when I get a chance.

Ben