Shooting from the Stand

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by piethon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. piethon

piethon Member

A question for the ages! I was just wondering what everyone else does as far as sighting in from their tree stand. My stands are generally up about 20 feet. If I range a distance a 30 yards and use my 30 yard pin in seems to hit right on. A lot of people say that there is a big difference and they sight in form their stand right before the season. Might be a pointless question but my mind starts working harder the closer October 1st gets!!:biggrin1:

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

If you range it at 30 yards you should hit at 30 yards... I think? I've heard that you need to aim a little bit high if your shooting from a stand or higher elevation... not sure how true it is though?

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

You aim low. Here's a simple test to show you why.

Take an arrow and lay it on a table. Now measure it. Let's say it is 29" long (think 29 yards). Now tie a string to the nock end of the arrow about 10" long. Lift the nock end with the string up so the arrow is at a 45deg angle. Now measure from the tip of the arrow to the string that is hanging from the nock. I'm guessing the tape measure will show the string hanging at about 22 inches. Now this is an over exaggeration of actual yardage change but you get the point of the change that is occurring.

Now my example doesn't get into the points of gravity but that is also considered here.

If you want more details, just reply back.:biggrin1:

4. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Great example Chris.:rockon: 20 feet up and shooting at 30 yards, you may not notice much difference. But if you take that 20 feet up and shooting at say 12 yards, it will be very noticable.

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

B A T W

BATW This means Bend At The Waist. You will shoot high if you move your arms and shoulders downward to shoot. draw your bow as usual, then bend slightly begining in your waist. this will keep you form even at your shoulders., And yes very close in at 10 yards it is preferrerable to hold under the spot in which you wish to hit your animal at. Believe me I have said a time or two BATW stupid as I watched the deer bound off untouched, my arrow flying high. Try this from your stand and see. Straight Shhootin and God Bless with a good deer. Holy Smok:amen: es 19 Days:whoo: :dance: :dance:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so what about from the sitting position, had that happen last year had the deer come in so quick had to shoot while sitting down......well lets just say that killed my mood:Cry:

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

B A T W

Hey Mr Bowman, That does purpose a great challange. I have harvested one deer from a sitting position and it came in behind me to the left,I am righthanded. One can pratice from this position or better yet sit it out and hope it allows you to move into position. if not--- there will hopefully be another day on that deer. Holy Smokes:smokin:

8. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

You can shoot them sitting down. But practice it. This way you know what to expect and can check for any differences in where the arrow will hit.

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

and just as important... you know WHERE your bow will be! When I'm sitting in my stand my OG cannot be drawn without hitting metal. The last thing you want is to draw back and CLANG!

10. Tailbuster

Tailbuster Junior Member

You aim low. Here's a simple test to show you why.

Take an arrow and lay it on a table. Now measure it. Let's say it is 29" long (think 29 yards). Now tie a string to the nock end of the arrow about 10" long. Lift the nock end with the string up so the arrow is at a 45deg angle. Now measure from the tip of the arrow to the string that is hanging from the nock. I'm guessing the tape measure will show the string hanging at about 22 inches. Now this is an over exaggeration of actual yardage change but you get the point of the change that is occurring.

Now my example doesn't get into the points of gravity but that is also considered here.

A deer at 30 yards with you 15 feet up a tree is less than a yard from the original 30 yards. Use the pythagorean theorem if you need to to prove it. Besides gravity only works on the lateral trajectory of the arrow not the downward shot. So the deer is 30 yards away. Shoot it the distance from the base of the tree and forget everything else.

all the best,
    john

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Guess I'll have to put a sliderule and a calculus textbook in my pack now:Cry: :laugh: :laugh:

12. piethon

piethon Member

Very good info guys. This weekend I was practicing from my new stand. It is a little higher then I am used to. When I ranged some yardages I noticed that they seemed a lot further that I. Thought. For example what I thought was about 30 yards was more like 22. Make sure you know how far the shots are that you will possibly be taking.

13. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I think arrow speed will also factor in here wont it? Ive found with my pre season shooting, about 20 feet up the tree, i ranged from up in the tree to the target, not from the base of the tree, my 20 yard shots were about 2 inches high, 30 to 60 were right their, bow chronos at 285 with 395 grain arrow.

14. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

great post Piethon, its alot harder to judge the yardage from a stand, and it looks alot farther then it really is, i find myself sitting in my stand and judging the deer, then ill range them, takes a while to get good at it cause its so decieving. I also have severall land marks (bushes, logs, ext...) that i range when i get in my stand, so if i haveto take a rushed shot and cannot range it, i know ill be close to the right distance if their near one of the landmarks.