Shooting through brush

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by J.Blay, Jun 17, 2008.

1. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I got bored last weekend and decided to see for myself just how far arrows would fly off course from glancing through brush, twigs and leaves. I've passed on shots at some nice bucks because I thought it risky at best to shoot through berry bushes and other brush type obstructions. I shot through berry bushes, and fairly dense twig size branches and leaves at distances from 15 to 30 yards. After three dozen shots my only complete miss was stopped in a 2" sapling. The only shot I felt was off enough to be a poor hit was about 8" high. Most other shots landed within 4" of my aim point. I'm feeling some regret now at passing on a shot at a nice 8 point from my tree stand because he was in a briar patch. He was only 10 yards from my tree but I viewed the shot unethical because of the brush. Do any of you have experience with this? What would you do given the information in this test in a similar circumstance to my 8 point incident?

2. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

for me real simple i wouldnt shoot .

3. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

With my luck I'd find the 1 branch or whatever and hit it just right so that I would send it in his butt. I rather wait for a clear lane to the heart lung area.

4. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

you where shooting broadheads not field points for your test .

5. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

No, field points. Guess I'll have to sacrifice a broadhead to get an accurate simulation. Thank for pointing that out. I'll update later this week or early next with the results.

6. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

If your going to shoot broadheads through the brush and sticks make sure you check your arrow real good after each shot . The side kick can crack the carbon or bend the aluminum which ever your shooting .
    And even if you do shoot a deer through brush more than likely your arrow wont have the penetration it normally would because its not going to hit in a straight line it going to kick sideways and loose energy .

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

A bigger difference might also be with mechanicals vs. fixed blade broadhead. A mechanical like a NAP Spitfire with only one blade deployed flies incredibly bad, like nothing on this earth.... Sparrows on crystal meth maybe... :noidea:

That's a neat experiment though and like upnorth said be careful about arrow damage. It's not worth hurting yourself over it. I personally avoid shooting through or close to brush and such, unless some goofy 3D course has something challenging.

That was an interesting post...

Ron

8. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

This test is not valid unless your shooting broadheads. The reaction of the arrow should be very different between broadheads and fieldpoints.

9. Sean Foster

Sean Foster New Member

My personal rule is that I won't shoot unless I am 100% sure to get a good clean kill. While this will be my first year bowhunting, I have hunted with a rifle for years and I have been faced with the same situation: I passed up a big 4 by 3 blacktail because some branches were in my way a little and there was no way to guarantee a clean kill from my position.

As those of you know, blacktails are like ghosts and you don't get many chances with any of them, let alone a big 4 by 3, but I am still content because I would hate to just wound such a magnificent animal. Such a buck deserves an honorable and quick death. Not a slow one caused by a misplaced bullet (or arrow).

I commend you on your decision to hold and I think it is a very honorable decision. I also encourage you to always hold, even in light of your new findings that not all through-the-brush shots miss their mark. The one that does may be the one that begins a slow, agonizing death.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  10. phillip

phillip Hog wild

The test sounds very interesting. But, i can only speak for my self when I say that with every shot I take at an animal I owe it to him and my self to make sure it is a clean and ethical shot. I would loose a lot of sleep knowing that I wounded an animal due to the fact that I did not do my part.
    Doing that I think would at some point in time take out of me any and all injoyment I have for the hunt.:pout: :pout: :nono:

11. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Something I haven't seen mentioned is how you determine how far behind that brush the intended target is. No doiubt that an arrow is going to get deflected once it hits something. But the farther behind that BRUSH the target is standing the farther off course that arrow is going to be. For my mind, a couple feet could make a whale of a difference.

The loss of penetration potential was already mentioned, but is also a good thing to think about.

In my estimation, you never err by passing a shot that you are not 100% sure of. There are too many other things that can and do go wrong to make things ugly. I sure wouldn't want to add to that by being unethical.