Shooting w/ Scope ????'s

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by STRO, Apr 1, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I have always shot fixed pins and am finally going to the next step with a moveable sight. I bought a used toxonics sight and put a new viper scope with a 0.19 green pin. I do not have a lense and don't plan on using one until I get rid of my target panic, which I am working on and improving. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions for this new setup other then keep shooting and get comfortable with it. I like the idea of being able to put a pin right on versus trying to split pins or put a pin high or low.

Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and girls

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Come on.....tell us the truth....... you really ran out of things to buy in the pin classes and needed a new excuse.....:biggrin1:

If I had any tips to give you, I would probably be better than I am. Ask Dano-C4. His is pretty darned accurate with a scope. Ask him how he shot at the indoor 3-D in Louisville this weekend...:peace:

3. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

That's not funny! The scope wasn't the problem, I was the problem! LOL
    I actually shot ok.(when I hit the target!)

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

HA!! you guys dont know what problems are!! LOL >>>. I shot the 1st State ASA qualifier.
    I at the 3rd target noticed my sight tape fell off. Which took us 10 min to find and then couldnt find where my 20 yard mark was to put my tape back on. Then moved to practice range w/ breakdown rule and had time for 3 shots. by the time we were at the last few targets. we were able to determin that it was 5 yards off. Which realy sticks cause I should have taken the 1st place... Never had that problem before. Except I forgot to put tape over it to make sure rain and humidity wouldnt be an issue. so, theres next month I guess!!! LOL !!!

5. STRO

so tip # 1...... make sure sight tape does't fall off.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

tip #2....make sure you mark your sight tape real good and make sure that your 30 yrds is really 30 yrds.....

7. STRO

I actually sighted it in myself out to 40 yards so far. I have not done the program to print out the sight tape. Do you suggest doing that or just sighting it in myself as I have done.

8. Pinwheel1969

Actually I use sight tape graduated scales from CBE. There more accurate than using software. At least on archers Advantage. Easier too. Just get a 20and 50 yd mark on your sight. and then match on of the scales so that the 20 and 50 match's. The scales are sticky back but I usually put packaging tape over it to make it water proof. But I just forgot.. LOL
    Dumb ol me...

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I would suggest getting the printouts. When you start shooting out beyond 40 yards you want to be as accurate as possible. Arrows drop a lot more at those distances. If you only have a 40 and 45 yard mark, and you estimate the yardage to be 43, where do you set your sight? You could guess, but then when you miss high or low you are going to second guess your sight first thing. If you have a tape and put it on 43yards and miss, then it is something else and you can mark your sight off the list of things you need to double check.

I can make you some tapes and mail them to you if you want. If so, I will need some information from you.:peace:

10. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

Justin made my sight tape, my arrow goes wherever the pin is.(unfortunately, sometimes my pin is on a concrete wall, with thousands of people watching)

11. STRO

Jc, please disregard the pm I sent you, I may go to Chris's shop and have me help me out, I'm on spring break this week and have some free time.

12. Pinwheel1969

done that about 6 years ago.. my first year at vegas. I was so nervous. I was a few people back from about 3 pros. I was so nervous I couldnt get my BT to go off. And I decided to let down and the arrow went>>>> Off the floor and into the wall!!! LOL !! Makes you want to sink in a larg hole !!

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Speaking in awful general terms aren't you there? With OnTarget, I put in the actual measured arrow weight, the actual chrono reading, and it prints the tape. It is very accurate. :rockon:

14. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

Yeah, I was shooting next to Nathan Brooks. I was feeling the preasure!

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so wait you had a misshap?? that sucks and i am really sorry to hear that.....

put it behind you, move on...you cant get those shots back......

heck I shot 2 goose eggs today......

16. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Were you on a known yardage range with a scope??????:biggrin1:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

no I was shooting w/a scope for a few targets then took the lense out when it started to rain......

it was unknown yardage...........

18. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Well, a certain person's "mishap" involved missing a 32ish yard deer on a known distance course and it did not result from any outside influence. More of the inside the head influence I believe......:rockon:

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

tell me something....is he the kind of guy that talks smack the hole time your shooting??? or no??

20. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Nope. He is great fun to shoot with. However, when ever I do something like this, he doesn't exactly keep it to himself. Therefore, I feel obligated to return the favor.......:peace: