shooting with gloves

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by olman, Dec 23, 2006.

1. olman

olman Member

I have a wrist wrap release & tryed to shoot with gloves on, just in practice. I was feeling like I was struggling to grab my release get set and shoot. So my question is this, does this go away with practice or should I change to a different release, find another pair of gloves or what?
    The release is a Scott Mongooes with a buckle strap & I use a string nock loop. Any help or ideas would be great, thanks.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

New Gloves - Underarmor Archery Gloves are by far the best that I have found. The problem is your wrist is now significantly wider as is your palm so the release doesn't fit the same anymore.

If you shoot enough with gloves on you'll get the hang of it but it will never be the same.

3. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

I had to go to thinner gloves. I had the same problem with thicker warmer gloves. I switched to thinner gloves and that took care of the problem for me. To keep my hands warm I now put them in my pockets. Until i switched I had a lot of trouble shooting.

Mo.Hick

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I only use a glove on my bow hand my release hand has none. I wear a hand muff with a hand warmer in it and keep my hand in it.:rockon: Works great and keeps me nice and toasty.:peace:

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I bought a pair of Rocky gloves with the long 'gaitor' style cuffs on them and put a hole through the back of the palm near my wrist. I put on the release and then the glove, pushing the caliper through the hole. I cut the hole with an exacto knife and then sealed the edges with a butane lighter, just like you would on the end of a piece of rope. I have not seen archery specific gloves myself but that would probably be pretty good too.

Ron

6. olman

olman Member

I tell you what if anyone ever needs information this is the place to come to. You guys have great ideas,a couple of them I did mull over already before my post but seeing somebody else with that same thought makes it seem that much more right to try. Thank for the imput, keep'em coming

7. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

I shoot Camoskinz from cabelas, the Primos gloves are good too.
    In winter I take a waist Muff and keep my hands in it, but in warmer weather you can wear them without sweating. I even wear them under my Gromitts when gun hunting now.

8. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

I used a had muff with a Charcoal hand heater so I could use this gloves year round. One of the charcoal sticks lasted about 4 to 6 hours. It always worked for me. Thats when I lived in Nebraska.

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I looked closely at those when deciding on hunting gloves and picked the Under armor ones because of the grip... I felt that the fewer grip things on the UA's acrually provided a more slip-free grip then the CamoSkinz... just my .02 though

10. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I too only put a glove on my bow hand, I have the other glov with me but it is in my pocket. I hunt with a hand held release, tried with a glove on but too wierd to get used to. I might have to try those under armor gloves that dredly was talking about.

11. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

I like the slip. I did got the ones with nothing on the palms/fingers.
    I like the grip to settle into my hand. I found the ones with grippie things caused me to introduce hand torque.

But then.. :peace: that is why they produce both types. So there is something for everyone!

12. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

gloves .... who needs them ... just keep your hands in your pockets until you see the deer .... u wont mind the cold if you are getting ready to shoot