short draw vs. normal

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by little_joe_young, Oct 13, 2007.

1. little_joe_young

little_joe_young Junior Member

Quick question for everyone- want to get into archery but i am somewhat confused of weather or not to get a normal or short draw bow. I'm 5'6" 145lbs and my armspan is 69" even. I would be target shooting for a while and maybe next year start dear hunting. Any suggestions for a bow type would be great. thanx..

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome...
    You should be somewhere around 27.5"
    depending on the bow you may need one for the draw length challenged...:D

3. little_joe_young

yeah im no body builder either...but also not a pencil neck

I knew some of you wouldn't be able to help urselves..its cool, all in good fun

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

who you calling draw length challenged.......:noidea:

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

If the bow fits...

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yeah there are some good bows out there...
    Whats your budget???

the bunny shoots 27.5 also...:D

7. little_joe_young

ah man my first post n I allready started problems...:p

around 500 all together

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yes I does!!!!

go look at the MissionX3 that thing rocks at 339 bare bow:rockon:

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Agreed...The X3 is a nice shooter and w/ the 150 you got left you can get some accessories...:D

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

What BA sayed is correct!:biggrin1:
    Plus if ya listen to BA and the Bunnyman at the same time ya get the
    " PIN & TELLER " Effect!:laugh:
    Aint it cool'
    Great sight ya entered stick around and have fun and :welcome:

11. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

Hi there.
    I have a 26" draw (on the shorter side), and if can be hard finding a good match. Are you looking to primarily shoot competition or to hunt?
    If hunting will be your main reason for having it, you can not go wrong with a PSE Diablo or DiabloSD (short draw) or AR35/35SD.

My Dad, Brother and I shot 3D last year too and we placed no less than Top 6 in each of the Maine 3D Meets we went too (Did not make States, busy that weekend). Not only are those bows good for hunting, but their BH makes them fine bows for light competition. The Diablo has 8"+ BH on the full size model.

I shot a whole bunch of bows before buying the Diablo.
    My friend shoots a Drenalin and has said that if he had tried the Diablo he would not have bothered spending the $200 MORE that he ended up spending over the Diablo.

The best thing is you can get holdovers for a LOT less than MSRP.
    In a couple weeks as the '08s come in Diablo will be drastically reduced, or at least they will come down a lot if you negotiate.

12. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

First of all let me welcome you to the site.:rockon:

When you buy the bow they will check your DL. Your armspan of 69" seems a little long (3" more than height). I'm 5'9" and shoot a 27.5 DL. You must have long arms. I strictly use mine for hunting and prefer a shorter bow (ATA). I find it less awkward in tree stands, brush etc. I target shoot all year (kill paper) but I don't shoot any type of competition. My understanding is that the competitiion shooters prefer longer bows. Have the Pro's at the shop measure your DL and don't play "macho" on the Draw weight. Get the draw weight that is COMFORTABLE for you. Sometimes less is more. Don't get stuck in the numbers game. Too much DW will only mess you up. There are other threads here that discuss that. Main thing is get the bow that is comfortable to you and PRACTISE, PRACTISE and Practise.

Have fun with your new bow when you get it. Keep Shooting.

13. little_joe_young

alright then thanx for all the info...
    one more quickie- are all the suggested types begginer friendly?

14. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

check out the Browning Rage bows. Awesome bows for the price. You can get them in a Hyper Max 10 hybrid cams. Which has 10" of draw with out a press. Or the Rage One with the Igniter 6 cam. Adjustable from 25"-31" with out a bow press. Both are rated around 300 ibo and 8 1/2" brace 35" A/A and both around $280.00.