Shot Placement

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by swboyz, Apr 16, 2008.

1. swboyz

swboyz New Member

I have been hunting for 20 years and just decided to start bow hunting. We have 3 kids that hunt and to teach them the importance of shot placement we have taught them to harvest deer by neck shots. Clean, quick, and no question if you hit them or not. we live in south texas and shoot small calibers .223, 22-250, & 6mm remington. Now to my question, do you have to shoot a deer in the vitals with a bow? Has anyone or can you kill them by shooting them there. i have a 70# diamond black ice bow....

2. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

Bow hunting requires an entirely different approach compared to the use of firearms. Animals up close and personal and positioning should be broadside or quartering away. Shot and aiming point should be the center of the lungs. Another thing you'll need to get used to is animals will almost always run off after the shot, nothing like a neck shot. Broadheads kills by hemmorage which takes a minimum of 6 seconds give or take, and deer can cover over 100 yards in that time, even with a hole through their heart. Probably closer to 30-40 yards with a good shot though. Best sport on the planet - Enjoy

3. ohbowhntr

ohbowhntr New Member

YES, you DO need to hit them in the vitals for the highest percentage shot, and it's best to wait for a broadside or quartering away shot unless you know the anatomy well. Here's a good diagram....

[​IMG]

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Definitely shoot for the vitals...