Sight pins/lined with arrows

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by cnorth, Aug 12, 2006.

1. cnorth

cnorth Junior Member

I have noticed that my arrows(field tips) are not in line with my sights.I have noticed other people that I shoot with, their sights and arrows are lined perfectly. I can group very well with my shots out to 50 yds. However, I was wondering if this was common, or maybe I have some tuning to do?

2. yarddog

yarddog Deer Slayer

Out of tune

i would say your bow is out of tune go to your local bow shop and they can help you

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

In most cases, when you put an arrow on the string and look down the string aligning the arrow, the sight pins will be slightly off to the left compared to the arrow. (This is for a right handed shooter)

Rarely will the pins be lined up exactly with the arrow. The reason they will not is the bow torque caused by the cable guard when the bow is at full draw.

When the bow is drawn, the cables put more pressure on the cable slide. This will cause a small amount of torque in the riser. The cable guard gets pulled in toward the arrow at full draw. This is normal. The exception would be a shoot thru bow system like the martin razor-x would not have this torque at all.

I hope this makes sense.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Just a question, does the roller guard on the Mathews do this??? shorter and a little stiffer than the round rod style???

5. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I should let Chris answer this question about the roller guard, but I'm already typing.

Yes, the roller guard on the Mathews bows creates side torque. It's pulling the cables to the side is it not?

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

bfisher is right. All bows create this same torque unless it is a shoot thru system that does not have a rod or roller guard. Some bows create more torque than others though.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I guess I was thinking of all the round cable guards that I have seen actually bend toward the center when the bow is drawn back.....but now that I actually thought about it, it makes sense....sorry for my confusion...:tape: