Sight Talk: I need some experienced advice.

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by vmabuck, May 4, 2008.

1. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

So, I shot my first 3D shoot in about 3 years here in Santa Fe NM this weekend and I desperately need to upgrade the old sights. I have your basic 3 pin Tru-Glo sight at the moment. I can only adjust horizontally in mass and the vertical pin adjustment is not easy to get accurate.

In NC 3 pins was not an issue; because shooting in the Bowhunter class meant your longest shot was around 45 yds. So a simple 20-30-40 pin handled business just fine. I guess the type of hunting you do in an area dictates the range on the 3D course. Here in Northern NM you deal with longer shots and so it seems their 3D course is a lot longer overall. That is just an assumption on my part though. Either way I would like to get a 5-7 pin setup.

Anyway, I started looking into Spot Hogg SDP's or the Hoggit-Hunter. I also was looking at the Sureloc Lethal Weapon. Both of these seem to have all the attributes of the nice 3D sights I see everyone using but they are in a more compact and durable hunting package.

I am not keen on all the adjustments these sights seem to have. So, aside from the individual horizontal adjustment capability, what are the advantages to the Sureloc Lethal Weapon or the Hoggit-Hunter?

I guess what I am looking for is the best hybrid I can find for hunting/3D. I know there are many brands out there, but I have had the Spot-Hogg brand and Sureloc brand come highly recommended.

Thanks for any input in advance...

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

3. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

I will check them out but I think I have kind of narrowed it down to either the Spot-Hogg or the Sureloc for the most part. It was hard enough just getting it down to two brands!

But thanks for the heads up on the Sword brand, I had never heard of them before.

I was kind of leaning towards Sureloc for some reason. Well, I was kind of assuming there was a reason why all the best scores of the shoot I was at were had behind a Sureloc brand sight.

I know they are using a different style of sight than they would probably use hunting so I just explored their hunting line of sights and noticed the Lethal Weapon. It looks like a nice solid piece of machinery and covers all the bases you would ever need for hunting or recreational 3D shooting.

And I have heard that the Spot-Hogg is about as durable as they come. So that interests me as well because I am not known for babying my gear...

4. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I know that the spott hogg is a very durable sight and a couple of people I know use it for hunting.

The Sure Loc has a long mounting bar to increase the sight distance from the peep, thus giving greater accuracy.

Both have the round pin housing for better sight alignment and both can be had with different size pins. Either one should be plenty durable as long as your not throwing your bow around like a bag of rocks. It looks as though neither one has a great deal of fiber optic to transmit in low light, making early morning or twilight shooting more difficult (and lets face it, that's when the majority of shots occur). Also, the more moving parts you have on a hunting sight, the greater the chance of something going wrong at the moment of truth, although this is a small chance, and steps can be taken to avoid it.

On a side note, I do not buy a name. I look for the features I want and buy what suits my needs the most. Good Luck and :welcome: back!

5. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

I like mine so far :wave:

6. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

When I was looking at both of these I was thinking the same thing. As you look deeper at Spot-Hogg though, they do sell a module for their site with a wrap housing for low light conditions.

Here is an example of one of their sites outfitted with this wrap.

Hogg Wrap

Also the Spot hog has a nice variety of pin diameters to choose from. I think they go from .029 down to .009.

There are so many good choices out there it is hard to hunker down and just go for it. After a bit of researching here in the last couple of hours I am thinking I will just go for the Spott-Hogg system. Now I just need to narrow that down to about 3 choices.

Does it ever end?

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  7. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

I'm not purely a brand nut, but I recently had to go through selection of a good hybrid sight. I chose the spot hogg hogg-it. It has the extensions to help with accuracy, the wrap option to brighten it up, right choice of material, and a good reputation in the industry.

It wasn't cheap, but I figured I didn't want to try to go cheap when making a bad choice would cost me a fair bit (I'm shipping the stuff from the US to Australia, so a bad choice could mean more in shipping than a typical sight costs).

I wish I could provide my first hand experience...but I haven't gotten it yet. Good luck in your search...I'm sure neither of the sites you're comparing will let you down.

8. vmabuck

vmabuck Killer B

I might be with you on that one scoob. I think I have narrowed it down to the hoggit or the hoggit hunter. The only other one I was looking at was the Seven Deadly Pins...

9. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Are you going to be using it for hunting and 3d or one or the other?

I believe most of the shooting organizations limit the number of pins you can have in hunter class, but not totally positive:noidea:

Me personally, I'm of the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid). The more you have on a sight, the more you have to think about and the more that can (and will) go wrong.:mad:

10. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I will throw another vote for the sword. I currently have all 3 (sure-loc, sword, spot hogg) and they are all great sights. I love my sword apex 3rd plane with .010 pins for hunting and 3d (about 115.00). You can't go wrong with any of them though.