Site is a treat

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Heavyhaul, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I am new to archery. I was shooting revolver and mentioned to a guy at work about the amount of time that I spent loading up and travelling to the range. He mentioned archery and that he had a bow to sell. The next day it was in my car, with a note, "shoot it as long as you like". I later talked to him. He said to keep it till next year if I liked. That is when it all happened. Now I think he had it in for me. I find myself in my garage with a fire going, 11:00PM, 20 degrees outside shooting accross my driveway at my target. My wife says that I "have a problem". I read ten pages of this site and I think that it is great. I started in November and had my first RH 2/3/07. This has been a great experience and I look forward to learning from such a great group as yourselves. I like the idea of a forum for newbys. Thanks guys.

Heavyhaul

By the way, I am now the PROUD owner of (I believe) and 01 Martin Jaguar, Whisker Biscuit, and a cheap-o 4-pin fiber sight.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you shoot all the time and all you think of is archery??????

so whats the suppose ed problem?????:noidea:

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the Insanity...This sport is different...it is an addiction...

4. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

:welcome: and congrats, i wish my freinds would put bows in my car!!! If you have a ? just post it up, theirs lots of good guys here that will help you out!!

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

There's no easy fix for the Obsession.:biggrin1: Welcome to the forum.

6. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Welcome!

:welcome: Heavyhaul! Great info and fantastic people here! Post whatever questions you have, there is always someone with the info you need.

-two_shoes

7. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Great idea

Hey man, I think you should buy your wife a new bow for Valentines Day.............(This site takes no responcibility for injuries which may be recived from the taking of advice. All ideas posted here come with no guarantees.):laugh: :laugh:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

WOO HOO another PA shooter... Face it you new yorkers... PA is just a better state! :p

HeavyHaul buddy your sunk. Its like quicksand... the more you struggle and fight it the faster you sink into addiction! Just relax, enjoy shooting and maybe if your lucky you'll someday overcome it...

oh wait... who wants to overcome an archery addiction? fight it buddy fight it!

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

oh and congrats on the first Robin Hood... its an awesome feeling when you hear those arrows slap together. The first one or 2 are great!

and then you realize you just cost yourself 30 bucks and you start shooting 5 spot targets :p

so what kind of bow are you shooting?

10. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I'm shooting a Martin Jaguar circa 00-01?. The best part of the RH was that I was at an indoor at the local proshop. The owner was next to me setting up a new Mathews for a customer and watching both of us shoot. It's kinda like a hole-in-one, no witness, no good. I'm going to upgrade my sight, I have a rectangular sight window, maybe rest, and buy a quality release. Hopefully in that order to keep with my plan. I'm going to try to hold off on a bow. I like the idea of buying from the guys that have to have the latest and reatest. I used to golf with a guy that bought 3-4 high quality drivers a year, trying to find a good one.:doh:

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Where in PA are you from?

Oh and thats an excellent idea! I buy very little if anything new. 99% of my purchases are used. If you are looking for specific items check out the store on 3dshoots.com. Great prices!

I typically will buy it online and then get it setup at the local proshop.

12. shaft

shaft Member

You think you are addicted now-just wait until you go to your first 3-d shoot. There is no known cure!!!

13. some day, I will try one of these

14. bill10418

bill10418 Why be Normal

You ought to. That's how I got bit naaaahhhh swallowed by the archery bug. A friend took me out to help him set up a range. He was a wrong handed (righty) :laugh: and I and I'm in my right mind (lefty) :biggrin1:. He had a friend that was also a lefty and let me shoot. My friend entered me into a 3D shoot about a month later and got 2nd place :rockon: . The guy whose bow I used came in third (not a happy camper after that).

15. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I started shooting in Nov. In January I entered a video/3D league. We are now shooting our 6 weeks of video and start 3D in two weeks. I thought the video was cool until I shot the 3D. It has 6 stationary and 6 pop-ups. It is myself, my brother-in-law, neighbor, and a buddy that just got his bow back out after 3 years. We are now in 5th or 6th and looking to move up in 3D. We are already searching for shoots this summer. We may even go to the Rinehart.

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

We are still finalizing plans but I think several of us will be making the trip down to Green Castle for the R100.

The video DART leagues are a LOT of fun I really enjoy shooting them. Have you tried playing with the "true yardage" yet? It will help quite a bit

17. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

No, I haven't tried true yardage. I only shot it twice before the league started. Right now I am having enough problems finding the Bull on some of these. I shot an armadillo in the neck 2 weeks ago and it gave me a miss. I know that I am not a pro, but I shot a 25 round 168 and my last 5 shots had 1 body and 4 misses. One was questionable, the rest were bogus. I'm looking foreward to 3-D. I know if I screwed up on it. Then again, that may not be good. :decision: Dredly, what part of PA you from?

18. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for the Offtopic. Dredly how much do they charge to shoot the DART system. We are thinking about purchasing one.

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

start your own thread hyjacker........

but around here its $8 league.....

$6 dollars a half hour non league

$10 an hour non league

its fun if you can find lots of disks but if all you have is the same old disks it gets old.....

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I think its like 7.00 / half hour (however many targets you can shoot) or 11.00 / hour?

Typically me and 2 other shoots can get about 45 targets in 30 minutes

For leagues its 15.00 the first week (10.00 from each person goes in the "kitty) and then like 7.00 / week for 30 targets.

They are alot of fun, the local store has had MASSIVE issues with theirs though and Technohunt (the company) are a bunch of jerks. He just sent the computer back again for work and he is on his 3rd comp.

its a very cool system though and there is almost always somone in there shooting it so it is a huge attraction. I would say get one but make sure you get some serious warranty (as in next day replacement / onsite tech) because they are very very touchy and buggy.

oh and you'll need a good 25 yard range or so even though its a 20 yard shot.