Smacked me a little one tonight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by 62flint, Oct 13, 2007.

1. 62flint

62flint Member

I hopefully got my first deer with a bow this afternoon. I shot a little doe about 15 yards complete pass thru. The arrow is covered with bright red blood to the point I can not see the color of my fletchings. When the arrow hit it took off like a race horse out of the gate. I tracked for about 50 yards. I think the blood trail could have been better. Being by myself and dark I backed out. I am going back in the morning at first light to get him. Hopefully the hit was good and the rage 2blade did it's job.

2. Werd

Werd Senior Member

im going to tell you now. if it is a liver shot, its gonna run for 100-140 yards. my dad shot one first day with rage 3 blade 30 yards pass thru liver shot. ran ^^^ yards and died. got it cut open and the liver had the 3 slash marks. rage are so sharp they do no damage to the inner. but the holes we unbelieveable. you could mistake it for a rifle. and btw. his didnt really put out that much blood either. where are you located?

3. 62flint

62flint Member

I live on the northern neck of virginia.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Good luck...
    If the blood on the arrow looked good it won't go far...Good choice not to push it last night...:D

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,there bud!

Hope ya find your deer!:biggrin1:

6. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Any luck yet finding your deer??

7. 62flint

62flint Member

NO deer, 4 hours of lookin with 3 friends. Blood trail just petered out at about 75 yards. Went in ever wideing circles to about a 300-400 yard radius. NO deer no blood nothin. Looks like he got airlifted out.
    I felt like I did a good shot but I guess not. The arrow was totaly covered in bright red blood. With that much blood on the arrow and a rage 2 blade head with a 2inch cutting diameter, pass thru I felt I should have had more blood on the ground, even if it was a marginal hit.
    I am bout:frusty: I am really aggravated right now.:censored: I have lost deer with a firearm before. It feels worse with a bow. I really wanted that little tender thing. I was looking forward to bow season so much now this. ARgggggggggggggg sorry just venting now.

8. Werd

Werd Senior Member

ill tell you what. somebody took it.with bright red blood im pretty sure it was a liver shot...but hey. you win some you lose some

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Man!

Sorry ta here that bud!
    Ya think the broad head opened?:noidea:
    Ive heard something about them hitting deer and not opening on intry but opening on exit!:noidea:
    I dont guess you could tell it might have opened on the ground.

10. 62flint

62flint Member

Well I wasn't and won't bash a broadhead on a problem that may be my fault.
    All I know for sure is I had a lot of blood on the arrow, and when I picked it up off the ground the blades WHERE NOT fully deployed. Now in the broad heads defense the arrow did hit the ground and slide across the dirt a little maybe that caused thme to close some? I don't know. I was wondering if it fully deployed on entry. I was hoping to recover the animal so I could tell for sure. 2 things I am wondering about why at the angle I was shooting didn't the arrow just stick in the ground on exit instead of glancing and laying flat on the ground? {I was 20 feet up the deer was 15 yards away in a beanfield.}
    The next thing I would think a 2 inch slice even in the hindquarter would bleed more than what I got. No where near the blood I would expect to get from a pass thru with a broad head with a 2inch cut. So yeah I am wondering if it opened right.
    If I go bow hunting again this year it will be with my montecs on my arrows. I know they will open.:biggrin1:

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Man!

I wasnt knockin your broadheads i was wandering because with a 2inch hole (like ya said) you can hittem just about anywhere!:noidea:
    Ive seen mechinicals hit stomach and rip it wide open the deer drop 100yds out so it wasnt you i wouldnt believe that,but if a mechinical dosent open its not much better than a field point.
    Someone on here killed a deer with the rage and someone replyed that the hole was small,the guy said it didnt open on entry but did on exit!:noidea:
    Im woundering if some of these newer mechinicals are haveing problems!
    If ya want to try something different maybe next year try Pse-brute 100gr thats what ive been trying this year or what ive used :noidea: for the past 10years Rocket hammerheads 100gr both use the band and both have always opened for me both open 2inchs the only reason i switched is that the blades are tougher on the Pse Brutes.