so a couple of weeks ago....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Oct 7, 2007.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

someone posted a thread about practicing for hunting season and how much each person does........

I am disturbed to hear that people say untill I get tired.....

I am sorry but w/the equipment we have at our disposal, we should not be shooting such heavy poundage that we get tired....:doh:

you should be able to shoot your bow for 1-2 hours each day without getting tired......

do we really need to even shoot more than 60-65lbs anymore for allmost any of north americas big game???

I see no reason why you could not kill a moose or even a grizzly w/65lbs.....

just think about it fellas, does machoism have to cost you your future hunting seasons???

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Unless you are a girl, I need all the help (poundage) I can get :p :biggrin1:

3. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I'm with you on this one. 70# sure is cool to brag about but 60# just feels so much nicer

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I shoot the 60-70# Allegiance because I can. And. if I knew that this thing was so fast I would have gone with a 50-60#...

I know exactly what you mean though and I agree with your train of thought.

I probably shoot an average of 20 arrows a day (guess ?). Having said that sometimes I shoot 70 arrows and sometimes I don't shoot anything at all.

I would definitely recommend that 50-60 pounds for an adult male. Heck, with the bow and arrow technology that's out there now there is no reason to do anything else...

Let the debate begin...

Ron

5. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

It took a torn rotator cuff and over a year off to learn this lesson. I'm a macho man and I shoot 80lbs-------rrrriiiiipppppppp. 65lbs feels real good to me now.

Funny to me that when I hear that word MACHO I think of the Village People.:noidea:

6. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I like 70 lbs. But It doesn't tire me out unless I haven't shot in a while.

Ben

7. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

!

This kind of sounds like a post were people in states that cant bait deer always put down peolpe in states that can......................ya kinda sounds like that:p hey iam macho :laugh: i say if you can pull it shoot it...:biggrin1:

8. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I've shot 70# since I was Jr. in high school, @ 24 It's only gotten easier. When I start to notice a slight difficulty in drawing 70, I'll drop to 60. Heck tax lawyer I know shoots 80# but it's because he can. Bottom line is shoot what is most comfortable to you, don't get roped into the idea that more is always better. Of course the XT draws like 60# at 70#.:cool:

9. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

Why be bothered by what others do or shoot?:noidea: If you can shoot higher poundage without fatigue, why not? If you don't want to, don't. It's up to the individual. Personally I think it's awesome that our equipment has evolved to a state of quality and efficiency that higher poundages are no longer needed for North America's larger species. We have the choice now. For the record, I shoot 70+ pounds for hunting and 3-D. Nothing macho about it, I am just more comfortable with the higher holding weights, and the draw doesn't bother me a bit. I have been shooting higher poundages for over 15 years now, no issues. I am sure that someday that will change, and when it does, my equipment will change with it. Until then...........:rockon: :party: !!

10. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Well I will side with bunnyman on this. My 50# and 60# bows I can shoot all day long. I can draw 70 to 80 pounds but why. It is about shot placement today.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

this is fine, but the thread was started to address the thread about people becoming tired shooting there hunting bows......

12. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

Not trying to start an argument, but thats you, not everybody. I personally shoot higher poundage better, for many reasons. It really is just personal preference. :)

13. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I startup my year by shooting a 100lb, Pse Big 5 to get my muscles built up again . then I dont shoot over 62lbs w/ hunting setup and 58lbs 3d and then down to 55lbs for spots.

14. QSA

I know that, but the thread was started as to why. So if it works for you ok. But how long can you all hold steady with the higher pound bows. Me I have never tryed it but at 60 with a low let off. I am sure I can hold mine for a long time. I am by no means a whip, I just do not see the need in it. But that is me. And you are you

15. Record Keeper

Record Keeper Member

Good thread!

I shoot 54 pounds for everything. Spots, hunting, freakcurve....everything.

:D

16. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

To me, this post sounds a bit like ripping on those who do shoot higher poundage, maybe I misinterpreted the intent:noidea: I was just trying to point out that bow poundage is a matter of personal preference and shouldn't be looked at as a blanket solution either way, or for all archers.:peace: BTW, I wanted to include post #11 also in the quote above, but couldn't figure out how to put 2 posts in the quote block!:laugh:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  17. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

Most of the guys I shoot with complain that my shot sequence takes a bit too long:doh: :laugh: I can aim steady for a while. In my mind, bow poundage has nothing to do with machoism or one's manliness, or even overall strength. It is nothing more than a choice determined by an individual's preference. I completely agree, there is no need to shoot higher poundage, I just do what works best for me.:peace:

18. QSA

And that is one of the main things that most forget in archery. Most are trying to shoot with perfect this and that. Some people are just not built that way. So it does not work for them. This thread is not ripping on any one. I think it was just to inform thous how have no thought about it. Most shoot high pound for speed and impact. Some shoot it because like you that is what works for them. The thread was I think to make some think about the changes in bows today. Maybe save somes shoulders by waking them up to the fact that you can shot todays bows at lower poundae and get the same speed and power. Trust me Bunyman is ripping on you then it would be plain as day. lol

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I think it is just another leftover idea from the bygone ages where more poundage was needed to get speed. I shoot between 55 - 65 depending on the bow. Tried turning it up to 70 and just didn't like it (yup I'm a wuss)

for spots its about 53 - 55 or so.

20. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I am hunting with 70, but 3D and spots will stay at 60. Probably go down to 60 next year for hunting as well.