So for you guys shooting logs for indoors

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Jun 25, 2006.

1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Aluminum or carbon? If carbons are the greatest thing since dropaway rests then why are some still shooting Aluminum? Not trying to start a war just wondering what everyones opinion was on the subject....

plus we have not had any good heated debates that got anyone in trouble lately...

Depending on how this goes the next posted ? will be about GWB...and wether we will ever find those weapons of mass destruction....:biggrin1:

2. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Best Archer I know

Says he can tune about any arrow at 20yrds t hit the same lace evertime

Darn sure nothing wrong with aluminum

I shoot carbons and feel they hit where I aim.

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Each has a plus and minus.
    Alum Pros:
    Spine consistancy (nothing better)
    Arrow straightness
    Alum Cons:
    Eventually, they bend

Carbon Pros:
    Durability. They should not break down in spine
    Very straight if you buy good ones
    Carbon Cons:
    Some not as straight as they should be
    Some still can break down the spine after a lot of shooting.

Here's what I normally do. Granted not everyone has access to this equipment. I put my unfletched arrows and bow in a hooter shooter at 20 yards.

I shoot every arrow from the bow at the same mark (pulling after each shot of course). Each arrow must go in the same hole or be extremely close. An inch off is too much in my book.

Now don't take this that alum is better than carbon. I shoot carbon. I have seen good and bad arrow in both aluminum and carbon.

When I setup my 3D bow, I did the same arrow test. The worst arrow was half a hole out. Meaning that it just make the arrow hole a little larger.:peace:

Now there are no excuses to why the arrow didn't go in the X or the spot, it's the dummy behind the release and that's me.

4. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I shoot both. For 3D and hunting I use carbons and for 300 rnd I use aluminums. I think that there is nothing wrong with either and I will probably shoot aluminums indoors for a long time.

5. Chris

Just make sure you spin your aluminums. I have seen 2613s bend.

6. Allen

Allen Senior Member

There is one advantage to carbons for short draw archerys. I have a 26" DL and to get a fat aluminum (2613) to spine for my bow, I have to put a 270 grain point on a 31.5" arrow.

With CXL2's I can get proper spine with much less weight and length. A 150 grain point on a 27" CXL2 in the 150 size works great.

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I have always shot aluminum before but a couple months ago I decided to try some carbon. I bought 6 X-Weaves fletched w/blazers and they are flying great. So now I am not sure what I want to hunt with???:noidea: Although the carbons are a little noisy when drawn through my WB:rockon: rest which will not be changed for hunting season.

8. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

hummm i like the acc arrows, alum and carbon all in 1!!!!!!! someone was thinkin here!! :rockon:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Yeah they were thinking how could I get this carbon to bend.....sorry just had too.....

10. BowhuntnHoosier

Or they may have been thinking how can I get these carbons to be more consistantly straight........sorry I just had to....:biggrin1:

11. Chris

Bowhuntnhoosier,

Wax your carbons with car wax. This may help when drawing thru the biscuit.

12. BowhuntnHoosier

Hey Chris thanks but what about the odor of car wax???? Do they make an odorless wax that would work?? :noidea: