So I'm torn...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I need to talk to the wife and decide what I want for my birthday (3-11, I expect presents from all of you)

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a bow press... I know there are a lot of them out there but I'm pretty impressed with 2 in particular (and I like the price)

Here is the first one

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=313357&highlight=press

Here is the second one

http://www.mccormicarchery.com/page/page/2756998.htm

I know the second one is a bit more pricey, especially if I get the stand with it but they are 2 completely different designs, each with their benefits and negatives.

So what do you guys think? Which would you rather get? price is a HUGE factor here and this isn't going to be used heavily like a shops press would but I'll be using it to tinker around quite a bit I think.

so give me your input? Anyone have any experience with either one of these presses?

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Only press I have been around is the Apple and it is a great press. I've also heard the Hydrapress is fantastic. Keep us posted.:peace:

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Hmm thats another one to throw on the list... have you used one of these? how well do they work with parallel limbs?

http://www.hydra-press.com/bow_press_pricing.htm

the Apple presses are nice but also pricey.

4. bponb

bponb Junior Member

bow press

I own the second press that you mentioned. It is a great press. Solid as a rock and does anything that a press needs to do. No cables to snap and you couldn't tear this up if you drove over it with a hummer. You can press any size bow as well as parralel limb bows. Any more info that you need send me a pm.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

You meant the Toad Press? I've been looking at his for quite a while (he's been making them for years) and I have yet to read a bad review on one of them yet. My only concern is how well does it work if I don't get the stand that they sell. will I have difficulty using it?

Also what is the chance of improperly pressing with this press? I've heard and seen a few bows pressed improperly due to roller placement and it always turns out badly, typically this is due to not backing out the limbs but I've also heard tales of the rollers that go on the riser moving / slipping and causing issues. Any truth to these rumors?

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Wow nice setup 911. How difficult is it to change to press a different bow. IE: going from a 31" A2A hunting bow to a 40" A2A target bow? Is it just a quick pin or 2 or is there a lot of reconfiguring involved?

The reason I ask is there is no way I could press my OG without changing everything (rollers and limb supports) and then if I move onto a buddies hunting bow I'd have to change it all over again.

7. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

hey dredly. I had you a present but it got out and ate two of my neighbors and I had to shoot it. I think I can get another one but it has two eyes. watch for the brown truck

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

hey no hijacking my thread! :tape:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

that hydra press looks very portable.....

11. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

sorry about that

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

please do not apologize to the original thread hyjacker.....about thread hyjacking....:biggrin1:

13. All you have to do to adjust it is pull out the rollers and reposition them.

Did my Switchbak many times, an XT, a Tribute, and my A& with no troubles.

And the Toad press is awesome too - regardless of the terminology. :peace:

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Cool thats what I figured (it will be the same on the toad press) but I just wanted to confirm

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how much does the hydra press sell for????got back my income tax and i want a press and a new bow......

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

170 according to their website

17. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

$205 for the parrallel limb press. Looks like a pretty solid press though to me.

18. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I got the apple press and had it for years and thouroghly love it. I can not get my XT in it though. Does anybody know who to recofigurate it if this is possible. HS