Something odd about my draw length

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by tenzero1, Nov 6, 2007.

1. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

Well im shooting a bear truth right now set at 63pounds and a draw length of 29.5 but when i had my bow set up at the archery shop the owner said i have way to long of a draw length that i need to be at 26.5 inches. I can shoot the bow accurately and have only had the string hit my forearm once so should i be worried or am i fine?

2. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

shoot it

I shoot 3 different draw lengths but thats just me.
    If you can shoot it accuratly shoot it.
    Next time get a bow in your correct dL.:biggrin1:

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

can you draw your bow and have somone take a pic and post it so we can see where you are anchoring on your face?

4. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

here[​IMG]s a pic of me drawn

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

get the proper draw length now, it will save a lot of frustration later....

how tall are you??

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah your draw length IS WAY TOO LONG:laugh: :laugh:

7. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

5'9"...........

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am 5'10"

and i shoot a 27-27.5 draw......

9. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

will being that long affect my shot or will it just be less comfortable?

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

it effects everything......consistancy is the key to archery, doing everything the same.....

your eye should be in line w/the knock and your belt buckle.....

11. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

how much would a different cam cost?

12. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

It looks like he has some room left in his left arm...he could straighten that out a little and then stop LEANING backwards with it drawn...should get him back to normal. The string is on his nose though, and his nock looks like it is below his eye, maybe 1" too far behind it....it looks decent to me. If he straightens the bow arm out a bit, and stops leaning I think it looks pretty good. Also...if he wants a mounting point for his string hand...just go to a thumb release...that will get your right hand mounted on your cheak.

What do you think about that analysis?

13. Huya

Huya Senior Member

There would be a big difference. Looking at the form. You are leaning back, It looks like your trying to compensate for that extra pull instead of being relaxed. If I were you, I would take it to the pro shop and get that set for your real draw. You will shoot better and improve faster. And it looks like you are gripping your bow.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  14. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I am 6' and my draw is 28".....and when you draw your bow, put an arrow in there just in case!

15. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

tenzero1 did you shoot the MAC championship this year. You look like a guy I shot with.

16. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

For his draw length I get...

5'9" = 69"

69/2.5 = 27.6" So, you need a 27.5 draw length by standard DL calculations...

I'm 5'11 and use a 29" DL...I do alright with it. maybe not as well as I would if I had a 28.5, but it is alright.

17. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

no ive never owned a bow before this fall i jsut started using a bow

but in that picture i was aiming low i wasnt aiming level sorry i didnt figure it mattered if i was looking straight even

18. Huya

Huya Senior Member

6 ft using a 29 DL but I have extra long arms and probably could have a longer dl. I am just more comfortable with the 29. My son is 5 10 and has long arms also and uses the same 29 DL. so I don't know how you come up with your calculations. I am not knocking them just that they don't always apply to everyone. And we were both measured at a pro shop and they wanted me to go to a 29.5 and I said no. So I have a large loop.

19. nccrutch

nccrutch Junior Member

Man, i would look into another release also. That loop is just a few shots away from slipping thru that Trophy Roller thing. Trust me, i've seen it happen a bunch of times.

27.5" would be about right i think.

20. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

can i get a cam at 27.5 for my bear truth and if so how much would it be?