Speed bow

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by iroutdoors, Feb 13, 2008.

1. iroutdoors

iroutdoors New Member

I am looking to buy a new bow and would like to get something that i can set up to shoot a single pin around 40 yards. Any suggestions?

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Weatherby .270 will nail it evertime:biggrin1: :biggrin1:
    being truefull i don't know any bow that will shoot flat to 40 yds
    I can be corrected for i don't know it all
    almost though
    btw :wave: welcome here we cut up quite a bit

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the closest you will get is a PSE X-force..........

you are not going to find one that shoots flat, at least for a couple of years anyway.........

4. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

I shoot my bow at 301 fps. I can only use 1 pin 0 to 25. Thats why I got me a HHA this year. After 25 yards the arrow starts to drop and its all a guess game.

5. jkskeet

jkskeet New Member

I have a 6" 70# x force 28" draw, 350 gr, @ 330fps, and my pins are 1-25, 30, 40, 50. But there is only <1" between em all. I shot a HHA slider last year and never even moved my sight @ 3d shoots and did just fine. I love my X and wouldnt trade it for nothin... Good Luck....

6. LWM

LWM Junior Member

I think you would need 800-900fps to shoot same POI to 40 yrds.

7. iroutdoors

iroutdoors New Member

Thanks for info. What have you hear on the old mathews LX?

8. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

I've got one...well I just sold it, but anyway, its a nice bow. You're not going to get that kind of speed out of it, but its one of the smoothest bows you're going to shoot. If this one would have been a 60lb'er and not a 70, I'd be keeping it. If you want speed, find yourself a BowTech Black Knight with the short brace hight. IMO, thats still the fastest bow ever produced.:rockon:

9. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

What about an HCA Iron Mace shooting arrows at 3 gpp? :tape:

10. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

11. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

Nice bow, but I still don't trust it. I know Barnsdale limbs are supposed to be the best, but I still wouldn't shoot those arrows in it over a long period of time.

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

over a long period of time???

I wouldnt shoot it one time, my luck isnt that good......:noidea:

13. LWM

LWM Junior Member

I shot a gold tip that the point rattled out of thru my chrony once-378fps- man was that loud, at the shot and when that hallowpoint hit the bag-BAM
    I would not shoot the HCA simply because the guy running HCA now has walked away from warranties in the past leaving a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.:censored:

14. Tenspot

Tenspot New Member

I need an Xforce:biggrin1:

A friend has one set up at 53#, 29+ draw, 335 gr arrow, 297fps.

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Martin Slayer......350ish
    Elite GTO........350ish
    Iron Mace.......350ish
    X-Force........350ish

16. JDX--

JDX-- Member

My favorite little speed bow

The Prestige (a sleeper) yet smaller in size this bow can shoot lights out, there are quite a few that use this bow to get it done be it 3D, Competitive, Hunting and so forth this bow has the ability to carry excellent speeds for the shorter draw individuals as well as the forgiveness and consistent accuracy for those maxing out the 29” draw on this bow. This is probably one of my favorite bows to shoot it reminds me of the smoken Black Max with a little more forgiveness built in. :D
    (my favorite for 3D, Brush shoots and hunting) :rockon:

My favorite pin setup used with this for hunting :wave:
    My desired set up is
    1st pin hits 2” high and 20 the heart or lungs won’t know the difference.
    I also use the same first pin for my 30 yard which will average a couple inches low, this works fine with the fact that, as the animal starts to get out at that distance Most tend to settle in the lungs higher more, versus the heart area even at times when it’s not intended. And also this allows my arrow to hit the vitals versus hitting high when the deer reacts and drops; if it doesn’t drop I still nailed it. A lot of area is covered then with this first pin.
    My second pin allows my arrows to hit 3” low for where I am aiming at 40, for the same reasons stated for 30 yards. (pulling up and centering in the chest and the possibility of the deer dropping from the shot)
    That covers all of the average distances for hunting and is pretty easy for 3D
    The last 3 pins are set to hit dead on at 50, 60 and 70 for fun shooting at camp, small varmints or 3D events
    This set up works great for hunting when you need to make a decision fast or if a animal comes in where you were not planning or if nerved up a little do to everything happening fast and being in front of the camera or whatever, I’ve been lucky and not had to hang my head do to a miss or high shot and lose on a buck of a lifetime.
    The set up still has you covered for 3D yet and after a little 3D you will have a set up that is confident and proven to yourself for the fall hunt without having to change anything making aiming and shooting second nature

For years I used to use just the single pin HHA Optimizer and had very good luck with it. Then in 2005 I had the opportunity to be filmed and harvested a nice buck, I always questioned how I would be able to handle the unexpected approach of a nice buck and be able to finish the shot without fumbling around or ending up messing up the shot so last year I changed to a 2 pin sight that covered my main 2 pin hunting setup but lacked the extended marks for the novelty fun shoot events or varmints and believe me shooting at Blackbirds and starlings at home here is excellent practice for learning what pins to automatically focus on for the different yardages and making a good shot, shooting small birds can be a challenge that addictive.
    My personal best with the prestige setup ready to hunt was a blackbird lazered with a range finder at 87 yards ** Note the birds were a pecking around on the grass lawn looking for bugs not flying in the air**

JDX-- :peace:

17. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

This is a 430 grain arrow mind you. I gues if I lightend up which will never happen I could maybe shoot one pin out to 30. Light arrows scare me.

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the Prestige is my favorite bow, i have ever shot.......

19. JDX--

JDX-- Member

BUNNYMAN
    I think someone here is starting to sway our way, Our little friend JC was checking if I had a extra bow hanging around. He’s probably hiding in the back reading a New Mathews Catalog at the moment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JDX-- :peace:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

JC??

which one???:noidea: