Speed Nok - Does it work?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by rqthunter, Jun 21, 2007.

1. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

Anybody ever used a T.R.U. Speed Nok? It claims to add fps speed and help with peep alignment. How on earth can it add speed? Is that just in comparison to a regular nok point (which I don't currently use). Looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a chronograph.

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well, I can't say I've actually tested it. But if it changes the speed at all I would be it's not more than 1fps.

3. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

Tried it

I put it on tonight and tried it. It did something weird-- made the arrow raise a bit above the rest, then settled at full draw. This is with a d loop around it. Will try it a little more to see if it settles, then chrono and post some results. So far, I don't know if I like it. Claims to add up to 15 fps. I think they are playing on words because it says..."Align your peep sight without the use of rubber tubing and increase your arrow speed up to 15 feet per second. The specially designed rocker radius eliminates bite on the arrow, improving accuracy and consistency." We'll see.

4. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I use them all the time. You get a couple FPS, probobly because they only weigh 5 grains. Using them in a Gold Tip, if you hit your nock the point tends to follow the groove, and since the nock at the groove is a little smaller than the shaft, you will damage the arrow struck. The damage would not occur with a standard nock, it would likely deflect out, and they are the same diameter, so there is no edge to catch, like with the Tru nock.
    It is good that you can use a smaller loop on your string. Shooting a Flathead, or Two-Shot release with much smaller loop gives you a comfortable, natural weld with the string. They nocks do wear out a bit faster in the throat. Regular checks and occasional replacements are a must. I put on all new before hunting season now, after a arrow fell off the string when I drew on a big buck only 10 yards from my stand tree. I did not get the buck. I still use the nocks. Lesson learned the hard way.

5. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Spread the knots a tiny bit on the loop. They are biting the nock. Just a little fit difference is all that arrow raise thing is.

6. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

aren't those the knocks that are "rifled" to make the arrow spin or am I thinking of a different gimmick?

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

No, those are the ones that have a little 'blade' on them that fits in the nock slot that aligns your peep. I've seen them but nobody I know uses one.

Ron