Speed or no Speed?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by gunner, Aug 4, 2006.

1. gunner

gunner Junior Member

My buddy and I have this feud going on about speed. Now I have been out of the 3D lime light for 5 years. I am shooting a Blue Mountain wolveren and he is shooting a Mathews at 57 pounds. My bow I have set at 70 pounds. I have my bow set up for open class shooting. After seeing my set up he went and set up his bow for open class also. I told him he should turn up his bow and get some speed. He told me no and is shooting his bow the same way. He doesn’t think he needs speed. I think the more speed the better. He does well shooting the league, but all of the shots are under 40 yards.

His bow is a Mathews Switch Back at 57 pounds, arrows are AXIS Full Metal Jacket with a 100 gain tips.

My set up is a Blue Mountain Wolveren at 70 pounds, shooting carbon force arrows.

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I for one think if he is good at estimating distance then he will do fine. That is the main reason people think speed is so important. If he is only shooting 200fps but know his pin is set at 40 yards and knows the target is at 40 yards then he will have no problem. Its nice to have a bow blasting an arrow at 280-300fps but even then if you cannot judge distance your not going to do very well. I also believe if he is shooting well then why would he want to change??? JMO:peace:

3. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

accuracy is greater than speed if u ask me ....... dont try and fix wat aint broken

4. Bullish

Bullish Junior Member

I shoot a 55 lb bow and get 280FPS, so poundage is not the only way to get speed. However as said earlier speed helps when you judge poorly. Drawing 70LBS is not very comfortable, with most of today's cam, but 60 lbs and under is like butter and much more enjoyable to shoot.

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

If he is great at judging distance than he will have no problems. However, 57# with a FMJs is going to be slow compared to most open class setups. That FMJ probably weighs in the neighborhood of 450gr. The PSE arrow is probably in the 380gr range. Big difference in weight and speed.

For me shooting 3D, I want to be in the 280's or more. I usually hunt in the 270 or above range.

My current 3D bow is 63# Apex 7 at 296fps.:rockon:

6. DTP_HoytTec

DTP_HoytTec Member

Bullish,

How are you getting that much speed at 55#? With what bow?

I have my Trykon set at 29" Draw, 55# and I'm pushing 254... I'm assuming you have a rather large draw length because it would appear you shoot the lengthier bows.. protec etc.

That's still fast for 55# unless your draw is somewhere around or above 30".

cheers!
    DTP_HoytTec

7. gunner

gunner Junior Member

8. RHelmer30

RHelmer30 Junior Member

speed

hi i shoot a hoyt protec with spirial cams at the start of the year i shot 52 pounds with 280 grain arrow at 289 fps now i'm shooting 65 pounds at 330grains at 298 fps. i have 2 sets of limbs draw lenght 28 and half.
    just thought i throw that out there about less draw weight and speed.

p.s. put the bow to 60 pounds with 280 arrows blow arrow into 3 peices be carefull trying to get to much speed. lessson learned the hard way. :doh:

9. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Speed

I am currently shooting 25.5 inch GT 22 series with a 27.5 in draw lenght. At 56# I was getting 277fps I just added a couple lbs and I can see a visible difference. Haven't run it through a chrono yet, but wiil this week

10. aggie2000tx

aggie2000tx Junior Member

Speed helps alot. Most people that shoot 3D push the limits of speed. If you are not shooting at least 280 that is pretty uncommon for a 3D shooter.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I took my slocon (icon) on its maiden voyage to 3-d land today.......

well after the shoot I went in the club house and they had a chrono set up....get this it shoots 225fps -55lbs 27"draw.....it was definatley different shooting it outdoors......didnt loose any arrows though.....so that was a positive......

12. BowhuntnHoosier

Icon...............slow maybe but man does that thing shoot smooth.:rockon:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and dead nuts accurate let me tell you!!!!!!

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Bambie is lucky that that bow is all bling-blinged up.....

Oh never mind my other bow is a Switchback.....

RUN, BAMBIE, RUN:laugh: :laugh:

15. BowhuntnHoosier

:rockon: :rockon: RUN.....BAMBI.......RUN

Lots of SB's and SB XT's out there this year.:peace:

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah but some of them have WB on them so.......

HOLD STILL BAMBIE, HOLD REAL STILL

17. BowhuntnHoosier

:laugh: Yes please do and my white blazers will turn blood red in a heart beat.:biggrin1: :biggrin1: