Speed Vs. Weight

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by OrthoPT, Aug 6, 2009.

1. OrthoPT

OrthoPT New Member

For shooting distances ie 60-70-80 yds even out to a 100yds., hypothetically, would you rather have an arrow that is 400 gr. shooting 295 - 300 fps, or an arrow that is 435 shooting 280 fps.

2. JAVI

JAVI New Member

depends on where the weight is... but I'd rather have the 280 arrow with good FOC than the lighter, faster arrow with poor FOC.. Build both of them with good FOC and I'd take the faster arrow unless the wind was blowing at a good clip.. assuming they both have approximately the same O.D.

3. OrthoPT

OrthoPT New Member

Foc

JAVI I was looking approx. 9-10% FOC on the heavy and 7-9 % for the lighter.

4. JAVI

JAVI New Member

so much depends on what the arrow likes and how far you intend to shoot with that arrow.. Neither of those numbers would be to my liking...

For 3-D I like a minimum of 10% and shoot for 14% when I can. For FITA and Field I would usually want 14% - 17% depending on the shaft, fletching drag and other factors such as wind and weather.

5. OrthoPT

OrthoPT New Member

I was looking between the ACC 360 or the FMJ 340 because I was considering hunting with this set as well. I know I put FITA but i am considering this set up more for hunting and 3d.

6. jame

jame New Member

7. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

You got to shoot Goldtip

I shoot GT and didnt realize other arrows are not included here.
    DB

8. JAVI

JAVI New Member

Jame... OnTarget2 will do any arrow and point weight you want to try... :rockon:

9. JAVI

JAVI New Member

Hunting arrows are another critter altogether, I would never confuse the two..

10. OrthoPT

OrthoPT New Member

What advice do you have for hunting arrows.

11. Looney Bin

Looney Bin At least I admit Im Crazy

Are you planning on shooting fixed blades or mechs on those hunting arrows???? I'd take the 280. Its got a better foc and I find fixed blades easier to tune at 280-285, then around 300. As it pertains to FOC I shoot around 14% on most of my arrows. My hunting arrows are a like 13.5% Foc. My field/3d arrows are a little over 14% and MY indoor arrows are between 14-15%.

I used to shoot less FOC, but the more I shoot the higher I keep making the FOC on my arrows. I simply shoot tighter more consistent groups and rounds with higher FOC's.