split limb vs not split

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by irishwater, Sep 3, 2007.

1. irishwater

irishwater Junior Member

what is the big diffrence and what is the plus and minus to both

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

weight.. thats about the only advantage...

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

your a PSE guy why would you try to answer all the questions you dont really know about???

weight yes but the bigger reason why they went to split limbs is because when a limb cracks or breaks it is NORMALLY down the center....Hoyt took the center out of the limbs....thus creating a limb w/much less faliure.....

how many people know someone w/a hoyt, with a broken limb issue????

not many.....

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Split limbs you mean bowtechs?
    There are many reason why even pressure comes to mind.
    Cam lean.

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Not to sure!

Hoyt had an issue with limbs cracking for sure!
    But they advertised back in the day they came out with the split limb design for less weight, noise & vibration, over the other mfg.

6. Pinwheel1969

you are correct. They didnt design them for helping w/ limb issues. Though it does cure that split in the middle you would get . You silly Mathews guy. And I do know a couple things about split limbs there are 2 of them on tiop and bottom. Well.....maybe just one!:laugh:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

do you guys really think a company will tell the REAL reasons they come up w/stuff??

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

"Hoyt’s patented 3/4” Split Limb Technology provides for an effective overall width of 2¾ inches, creating much more lateral and torsional stability than that of a traditional 1½ inch solid limb design. The 3/4” Split Limb design also eliminates the vulnerable v-groove and limb bolt groove or hole where failure most often occurs on traditional solid limbs. 3/4” Split Limbs are lighter, more efficient and provide increased arrow speeds, durability and accuracy." --- From Hoyt

http://www.hoyt.com/products/limbsCompound.tpl

I have been shooting Hoyts for 4 years and haven't had an issue with any of the limbs due to splintering or anything else. (I had 1, but that was my fault when I slipped and dropped the bow on a rock... chipped the limb and Hoyt replaced all four limbs for free) Do I think they hold up to much more abuse than solid limbs? I would have to say yes, since the bow I got in 2003 is still flinging arrows without any issues with the limbs.

9. Pinwheel1969

actually, I was at the hoyt factory just after they cam out w/ the split limbs.
    And thats what there production manager told me when I was taking the tour. Whether its true or not???

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Hoyt’s patented 3/4” Split Limb Technology provides for an effective overall width of 2¾ inches, creating much more lateral and torsional stability than that of a traditional 1½ inch solid limb design. The 3/4” Split Limb design also eliminates the vulnerable v-groove and limb bolt groove or hole where failure most often occurs on traditional solid limbs. 3/4” Split Limbs are lighter, more efficient and provide increased arrow speeds, durability and accuracy.

11. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Can we say that you are both right? "...3/4” Split Limbs are lighter..."

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:p :p :p :p

sure.......

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

NO....this was his statement

"weight.. thats about the only advantage..."

so he is wrong....:laugh: :laugh:

14. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

You can't go back now... you said "sure", you are both correct! :biggrin1: :peace:

15. Pinwheel1969

technically I am wrong. But we all know.. The split limb gives no advantage in accuracy or speed. And oyts risor wweighs so much that any weight advatages is out the window..:laugh:

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:lol: :lol: