Spring Whitetail hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by MNMike, Apr 2, 2008.

1. MNMike

MNMike Junior Member

This spring, the MN DNR is promoting a spring deer season to reduce the herd within a TB area up here in the northern part of the state. I have some friends with land in this zone and I am thinking about taking part with my bow. From what I know, it sounds like a person can use pretty much any weapon - a gun, bow, knife, bomb, whatever as they just want dead dear. There is a permit that is needed, but they are even considering waiving that-as long as a kill is still registered and tested for TB.
    I've been told by some that spring deer are kind of nasty tasting and it is not a good idea to eat them. I can't say that I've ever shot one so I don't know. I am not sure about hunting and killing without the benefit of eating the deer. Any suggestions on this? I am not real excited to eat TB risk deer either, but I've heard that as long as it is cooked, the venison is fine???? Any adivse?

2. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

im not sure about the taste of spring deer but i hunt in michigan in the TB area and i have never got a deer with TB that i know of. but they say as long as its cooked thoroughly its fine. i would suggest that if you get a deer i would were gloves while dressing the deer. if you go to google and do a search on it there is a ton of info about it.

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

It would be some very good experince in honing the hunt skills
    tahts all I would consider it for :biggrin1:
    unless you consider helping out tha state thus tha herd.

4. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

you could always donate the meat.

5. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Might I recommend then a Buick. Nothing takes down a deer like a nice buick, but you must make sure that you have a clear broadside shot.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. MNMike

MNMike Junior Member

That's a whole other problem!

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

well

In Va, we have an early urban archery season and to tell you the truth
    I just couldnt do it.
    The reason is i love Deer, i mean i really love to shootem and grillem and all
    but i also like to give them there space at there time of the year like right now thru the birthing season.
    I couldnt shoot a doe thats about to give birth and i dont want to shoot a big old buck that doesnt have his head gear, sorry thats just me
    After 35years of hunting i admire the Whitetail for trying to elude my arrows in october and im gonna give them there space in the off season
    Hell, i even feed them now.
    But thats my 2 cents, and to each his own:biggrin1:

8. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

I'm totally with KBOHUNT on this one. It would be horrible to shoot a doe with a couple well formed fawns inside her. Shooting an deer without plans to eat it doesn't interest me either. Although I've killed crows, coyotes , and groundhogs; which makes me a bit of a hypocrite; Well I just have too much respect for whitetails.

9. I see no problem with it, you are doing yourself a favor by helping to control a problem. If they are having a spring hunt, then they must be worried about a TB outbreak and as a hunter you should not feel bad about going on the hunt. If you don't want the meat then you can always donate it, it is best to help stop any kind of out break before it spreads and really ruins your future hunts. JMO

10. MNMike

MNMike Junior Member

To tell you the truth, I don't have a problem shooting a doe that is carrying on the basis that I would be practicing good population control. (one kill - three dead deer) I can't say that gutting her wouldn't bother me, but it is true that most of those deer will be dead soon - either through hunting or DNR intervention. Last year, the state paid sharpshooters to come and blast away at the herd. They were allowed to bait and they hunted at night. This way, at least it gives a hunter a chance to be out there. I just don't know about the meat.